Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcCo61
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Issue with faceplate?

Go to solution

Hello. I recently noticed there was no dial tone on any of the handsets on my landline. Having spoken to BT I confirmed that there is a dial tone when a handset is plugged into the test socket behind the faceplate, but no dial tone when the handset is plugged into the front of the faceplate itself. I went through disconnecting everything from the extension sockets - phone, sky box, etc, but that made no difference. I then disconnected the extension cable at the faceplate, but there is still no dial tone at the front of the faceplate - there is still a dial tone at the test socket.

Does this mean there is a problem with the faceplate itself and is this something BT should replace with no charge? If not, is it possible to buy just the faceplate so I can change it myself?

any advice would be much appreciated!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Issue with faceplate?

Go to solution

Welcome to this customer to customer forum @MarcCo61

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

0 Ratings
MarcCo61
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith. Thank you for your reply. It's this one

image.jpeg

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If your removable panel is a standard NTE5 as in photo 1, there isn't much to go wrong it's a piece of plastic with a male plug and female socket and a IDC for extension wiring , if it's a filtered faceplate( photo 3 or 4)  there are some electronics that can fail....who is responsible for this (consumer panel)  is a grey area, Openreach are responsible upto the master socket, but this is arguably upto the master socket test port, the consumer panel may be the consumers responsibility, given the potential for charges is you call out Openreach on a line that's OK at the test port and that NTE5 filtered or non filtered consumer panels are cheap and easily obtained ,  I would just buy one and fit it yourself.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@MarcCo61 wrote:

Hi Keith. Thank you for your reply. It's this one

image.jpeg

They are very prone to failure, with the exact symptoms you describe.

BT would charge £130 to replace it, as its after the main test socket.

You can buy replacements, but they are likely to do the same.

I would recommend that you remove the whole faceplate, and replace it with one of these.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

lindy rear.jpg

These are of a much simpler design, and do not suffer from the same problem.

Meanwhile, all you can do is to use the test socket with a microfilter.

If you remove the whole of the faceplate, you will find the original test socket behind it, where the faceplate plugs into.

You can plug the microfilter into that one, if you prefer.

MarcCo61
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith. Thank you for the advice - that makes perfect sense. I've ordered the Lindy VDSL2 - it should be here on Tuesday, so fingers crossed that will sort it

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

There are two additional screws which totally remove the faceplate, as its a two part affair.

Once its unscrewed you should be left with this

nte.jpg

But without the bottom section.

You will see the test socket where the Lindy unit plugs in and is secured by one of the pair of screws provided.

The back of the Lindy unit has the wiring for extensions, but only connections 2 and 5 are needed, so you can copy them from the old NTE.

I think there are instruction with it anyway.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
You can also just buy a replacement VDSL Faceplate online. They are made on Openreach's behalf, but I see you have opted for a 3rd party one.
Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
MarcCo61
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith. Lindy faceplate received today and fitted - took about 5 minutes; the problem is resolved, including on the extensions (2,3 and 5 were wired on the old faceplate so I just kept all three). The lines are clear as a bell too (whereas they were pretty crackly before).

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

Marc

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@MarcCo61 wrote:

Hi Keith. Lindy faceplate received today and fitted - took about 5 minutes; the problem is resolved, including on the extensions (2,3 and 5 were wired on the old faceplate so I just kept all three). The lines are clear as a bell too (whereas they were pretty crackly before).

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

Marc

I am pleased that its now sorted Smiley Happy

Those Openreach ones are a source of many problems, there are just over engineered for the simple function they need to perform.

You will see that by looking at the circuit board, a lot of components to potentially fail.

Pin 3 is only needed for the very old dial phones, and some old external bells.