cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: Issues ordering FTTP, at capacity - Help please!

Have you got a phone line yet ?

If you have any, what is the situation with your neighbours ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 12 of 20

@pompey1898 wrote:

Why would a phone line make any difference?

You don't need one for FTTP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 20

@pippincp wrote:

@pompey1898 wrote:

Why would a phone line make any difference?  If he has one then he could run the Availabilty checker by phone number which you always say is more accurate than addressI also thought it might be useful to know the score with any neighbours he may have.

You don't need one for FTTP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

Don't have phone line yet.

We have neighbours at the end of the road who are on the same exchange and have FTTP, but they ordered it before us. We ordered it about 2 months after it first showed as available (as soon as we exchanged contracts)

Just wish I could find out if it's just additional cards that need adding, or new cabinet, and what plans were. Also why it is still showing as available even today.

Frustrating.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

You don't have cards and cabinets for FTTP. You have nodes and manifolds that the fibres come from.

How many properties on your road? How many have FTTP?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

Ah ok. I'm learning 🙂

We live on the outskirts of the village. The neighbour I spoke about that has it is about a 2 minute walk away.

I think if the websites and checks were saying it was at capacity I could accept it, but because everything I can check says it's available I just feel like I'm being fobbed off. I know if I placed an order online today, it would go through, only to be rejected again when I rang them tomorrow. Currently I have choice of 1mb/s copper, or satellite. If they told me I was on a waiting list and will get it in 6 months I could live with that, but just not being told anything.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

There would be a manifold adjacent or near to your current copper DP (7 or 12 ports) this goes back to a fibre dp (12, 24 or 32 ports) via blown fibre tubing. The fibre DP goes back to a splitter node (128 ports) this then goes back to an aggregation node. this is fed from a main exchange (not a small local type)

so there could be a capacity issue anywhere along that route.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

OK, finally spoke to someone that knows what is going on.  They tell me it needs a new Fibre Distribution Point, which isn't good news.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Bad luck it appears.

The problem is that some of the systems that you check for availability aren't "real time". They may updated weekly/monthly. So in fact there may have not been any capacity for a while before you ordered but for whatever reason the checker isn't updated.

Who did you speak to? Did they give you an idea of lead times for getting the new equipment installed?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

I spoke to management in the fibre order team.  First person who has actually be able to give me answers which is good.  As explained to her, if they turned around and said i'm on a waiting list and can get it in 6 months, I'd be more than happy with that.  She is trying to find out timescales and promised to give me a call next Friday, so fingers crossed.

Just need to decide what to do in the mean time.  Copper will give me 1mb/s and satelite is very expensive with data caps and 2 year contract (although Avon have informed me if/when fibre becomes available, i have the option of terminating contract early...but would want that confirmed many times over in writing before committing !)

Thanks for all your advice....

0 Ratings