cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Issues with MSN Live Messenger and Hotmail.com on BT

Hi, First time poster so apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

Since about 11.45pm bst on 26/03/2012 I have been unable to access Windows Live Messenger and Hotmail.com via PC and Ipod touch.

When I do try to log into Messenger, its telling me that the "Key ports" are down, then returns a message about incorrect firewall settings. However, I have made sure, and quadruple checked that its not a firewall or antivirus issue by trying to connect via the iPod Touch, and also by using my xbox console to connect to messenger there. Its not connecting.

I have run a system restore, reinstalled msn messenger, tried other browsers (including safari on ipod) and i still cannot connect.

I am not the only person on BT to be having this issue at the moment it seems, a friend of mine in an online game I play, also cannot connect to Hotmail/Live and msn messenger.

Please can you look into this and advise if this is in fact, as myself and other suspect, is a bt issue. Obviously, being unable to connect to hotmail from my home address is very inconvenient to say the least.

Edited to add:

Resolutions I have already tried - System restore to earlier today, rebooting both pc and router several times, Connecting to hotmail via other computers etc, still no joy. Also tried reinstallation of live messenger and three different browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
eeblogue
Beginner
Message 2 of 28

Re: Issues with MSN Live Messenger and Hotmail.com on BT

I can't connect to hotmail.com either.

0 Ratings
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Just to add to this, it is ONLY Hotmail/Windows Live it is affecting at the moment. I can connect to facebook and other sites fine. Sites affected are:

http://www.hotmail.com/
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live (but I am able to connect to the online gaming on xbox live via a console... but not msn)
0 Ratings
ironsideuk
Beginner
Message 4 of 28

I am having the same problems trying to sign into Hotmail.com and anything to do with Google search engine

it is really bugging me as now Live Mail wont even pick my emails up from hotmail.com account.

Hope someone has an answer to this.

0 Ratings
kg08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Same issues here. Cannot access hotmail, or messenger either, but the services are up, as I have asked other people. Seems to be only BT users that have the problem.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

YUP - me too am  BT user and cannot access MSN or Hotmail .......... grrrr

0 Ratings
Zealon
Beginner
Message 7 of 28

My guess is that it has something to do with the Internet Time Server that BT uses is somehow blocking Microsoft services such as Hotmail, Windows Live and MSN.com.

I woke up this morning and was unable to connect to anything, tried numerous solutions of which all failed in the end; but now I know that it's something on BT's end and not mine, or anyone else's; hopefully they will get around to correcting this issue.

However, I really do think that it is because of the new Daylight's Saving Time has been put into affect, as the router's DST settings are still set to how they were before the 25th, they're not set to BST; and inputting the new time manually doesn't seem to change anything either.

So, we can only hope that BT gets to fixing this issue as soon as possible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 28

@Zealon wrote:

My guess is that it has something to do with the Internet Time Server that BT uses is somehow blocking Microsoft services such as Hotmail, Windows Live and MSN.com.

I woke up this morning and was unable to connect to anything, tried numerous solutions of which all failed in the end; but now I know that it's something on BT's end and not mine, or anyone else's; hopefully they will get around to correcting this issue.

However, I really do think that it is because of the new Daylight's Saving Time has been put into affect, as the router's DST settings are still set to how they were before the 25th, they're not set to BST; and inputting the new time manually doesn't seem to change anything either.

So, we can only hope that BT gets to fixing this issue as soon as possible.

Hi,. Welcome to the forums.

I've just tried to access hotmail, and I've also failed - and my HH2 router is correct with regard the time and BST. So it is something else.

0 Ratings
thebennyboy
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Hotmail issues

I'm having a great deal of issues trying to access hotmail.co.uk which results in it just timing out. Router restart didn't help. Starting to think there may be a problem somewhere else. Is this happening to anybody else?

Traceroute:

Tracing route to login.live.com.nsatc.net [65.54.186.17]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  api.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  217.32.142.5
  3    24 ms    23 ms    24 ms  217.32.142.46
  4    25 ms    24 ms    24 ms  213.120.163.70
  5    24 ms    24 ms    23 ms  217.32.27.62
  6    24 ms    24 ms    25 ms  217.32.27.182
  7    29 ms    24 ms    23 ms  acc2-10GigE-9-3-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.250.230]
  8    44 ms    36 ms    35 ms  core2-te0-13-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.250.139]
  9    35 ms    92 ms    33 ms  transit1-xe0-1-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.9.234]
 10    33 ms    39 ms    32 ms  t2c3-xe-9-3-0.uk-eal.eu.bt.net [166.49.168.29]
 11    36 ms    33 ms    32 ms  t2c1-ge13-0-0.uk-eal.eu.bt.net [166.49.237.25]
 12   106 ms   106 ms   106 ms  t2c1-p4-0-0.us-ash.eu.bt.net [166.49.164.225]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

0 Ratings
thebennyboy
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Re: Hotmail issues

0 Ratings