cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

When the 5GHz gets full - there will be something else availble.

Till then, google WiFi wallpaper! Maybe the answer!

Good for the local boozer who want's to stop people using their mobiles in the building.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 100

Go to solution

Disillusioned -

do try the advice given by others. It's good advice. I and all of my friends get 90% of profile using HH wifi.

however 1 friend was getting alot less - it was channel congestion and the positioning on the router that was working against her. I'm not convinced that the auto channel select works as well as is suggested so find a range that is empty - use it and have the router away from metal object (same advice to any router).

hope it works out

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 100

Go to solution
that is a good idea i like that one well found
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 100

Go to solution

I thank you all for your efforts.  However, having this confirmed by BT Tech. Support is the point.  They know there is an issue with some of the HH3s out there.  It may appear that the problem may be in the manufacture in certain hubs.  The software/firmware is proven to work in most instances.  This leaves the hardware being suspected to be at fault.  This could be either a faulty batch or a quality consistency issue at the hardware manufacture stage.

I am aware there are too many environmental influences on signal, contention within bandwidth, noise, interference, barriers in building construction etc....  What remains is that I do know a lot about WiFi networking and how it works so have been pusing BT to examine the issue.

Many users get slower rates but do not realise their speeds could be down to hardware flaws.  Many of the suggestions made are very commendable and very useful to a normal user.  I, however, am not a normal user and have clearly identified the hardware issues and brought them up time and time again with BT.  It looks like I am now getting somewhere having them admit there is an issue which OpenReach will have to address.

The reason OpenReach don't want to address it or even admit there is a problem is that upto 20% or routers may have to be replaced at a massive cost to them or BT.

I just thought that others should know about this issue before they throw their hub out of the window in frustration.  What is needed is for BT to publicly acknowledge there is a problem and deal with it and not keep telling customers to re-boot, re-set, change channel etc... time and time again.  Although I acknowledge that some of the issues will be sorted by this procedure by the Tech Support but not all: some of those faults are hardware and should be addressed.

Everytime I raise this issue I get the feeling I am being FLAMED by some disbelievers who obviously don't have these issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 100

Go to solution

@Disillusione wrote:

I thank you all for your efforts.  However, having this confirmed by BT Tech. Support is the point.  .

can you provide a link to the confirmation you claim to have had?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 100

Go to solution
Just a comment the Home hub is nothing to do with Openreach They are only responsible for the white infinity modem the Home Hub is provided by BT Retail
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 100

Go to solution

I had problems with the Hub3, Homehub 2 ( A & B).

As a normal user at the start, and seeing 54g wifi devices on the market, expected wifi to work and run at 54g. It does not never will.

Then people spouting on about N devices sorting all that out. I have two N devices. The have have only ever achieved at best 28Mbps through put. That's fine for the odd bit of surfing or SD video. Throw a 1080p video over wifi, and welcome to Buffer City my friend.

So most of my kit is now hard wired, some via homeplugs. I now just ignore wifi where possible.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 100

Go to solution
Could not agree more MeanMint A wired connection is always the most reliable and secure method of connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 100

Go to solution

That's the true nature of wireless, and the claims of wireless

You can take the wireless figure and half it.

One half for TX, the other for RX.

28MBps is more than enough for 1080p, if the video has been compressed properly - most 1080p will use 2.6Gb per hour - this is 0.04Gb/min - so in theory you only need about 878KB/sec (which is at max about a 7Mbps line).

Admitidly, raw 1080p from Bluray will need a faster link - but for streaming over net-flix / iTunes store, you only really need a max of 7-8MBps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 100

Go to solution

@anthonyUK wrote:

Official Smiley LOL

How many people must be using a HH3 without issue and because you can't get it to work it is officially not fit for purpose?

Did you try any of the suggestions given to you in your original thread?

Regarding Linux - I am a big fan but wifi has always been a bit flaky. Are the drivers for your device supported by the wifi manufacturer or open source?

You could try to see if it works OK with a windows device.

Im running CentOS which is based upon RHEL, as standard it picks up my laptop's wireless network card just fine (Intel ProWireless 3945abg). As i understand it a few of the Intel wifi adapters are now built in to the linux kernel. Either way I get a rock solid connection from it, and a rock solid desktop using CentOS 🙂

Long live linux!

0 Ratings