cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 21 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

The point is Disillusione is that you post a thread that the HH3 is not fit for purpose which means that it is completely unsuitable and broken but then go on to say it works fine for most people (which is already common knowledge).

'Some of the faults' is not exactly descriptive. What exactly are these problems?

I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into Linux drivers for Intel and other wifi cards but they will never be officially supported by Intel and possible other chipset manufacturers so I can sort of see the point in Linux not being supported by some ISPs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 100

Go to solution

@anthonyUK wrote:

The point is Disillusione is that you post a thread that the HH3 is not fit for purpose which means that it is completely unsuitable and broken but then go on to say it works fine for most people (which is already common knowledge).

'Some of the faults' is not exactly descriptive. What exactly are these problems?

I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into Linux drivers for Intel and other wifi cards but they will never be officially supported by Intel and possible other chipset manufacturers so I can sort of see the point in Linux not being supported by some ISPs.

Hi AthonyUK

I have no probs at all with my HH3 in fact it works well 🙂 I was just replying to Disillusione's thread about my experience using Linux with the HH3. The opensource drivers work fine and are solid. ISPs dont really need to support linux as such, it's just an OS like any other, so long as your linux install has a working network then your sorted. Also it is possible to use some "Proprietory" windows drivers on linux using ndiswrapper, although most NiX users preffer to go open source when possible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 100

Go to solution

WiFi - 5ft from router in direct sight:-

6 ft Cat5 cable:-

The figures speak voulumes.

AnthonyUK read the original post I never said the Hub was not fit for purpose BT Tech Support did.

I have enough of some of the patronising comments on this forum and will just continue with my complaint with OFCOM and the Communications Ombudsmon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 100

Go to solution

"I contacted Technical support and they confirm that they know of the issue, but haven't told customers, but they have referred the matter to Open Reach as they are their hardware supliers."  

Openreach do not supply the HOME HUB that is a BT Retail provided product

Openreach Provide and maintain the Infinity Modem only 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 100

Go to solution

You;ve got to love BT Tech support at times, I love the way you can get the to agree with you even if the statement is incorrect, sadly most of the time this is due to a language barrier.

Disillusione, to me it looks like your network card is only connecting at 56Mbps - this is possibly either dut to poor drivers, poor configuration or the wireless card doesn't support 'n' only abg.

Can you post a screenshot of the wireless connection speed from your linux box? as in what is it connecting to the hub at?

Can you also post a screenshot from inSSIDer so that we can see just how many other wireless devices are broadcasting.

To give you an idea of what I'm getting - this is wireless 'n' (5GHz)

And with wireless 'g'

Similar results as to what you are getting - so my advice - check the configuration and drivers on your Linux build.

And this is the result from Wireless 'n' 2.4GHz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 100

Go to solution

And back on Wireless 'n' 5GHz - thought I should do another test to prove it's not a fluke and that it's taken at the same time of day as the rest

But then again being able to connect at 450Mbps over wireless is probably what makes it all worth while.

Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 10.25.53.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 27 of 100

Go to solution
Never trust those second line tech people, they are just as bad. I was told by them once that I was wrong that my fibre carried my phone line and I was quote 'stupid'. Even though I had spent 30 minutes explaining where it was plugged in and what the problem was. If it is not on their script they ain't got a clue.

As for the home hub? Is alright, not the best but it's free!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 28 of 100

Go to solution

I have to agree with V8growl it does sound like a wireless network issue, here are my results for wireless vs ethernet :-

Firstly wireless 802.11g

Secondly Ethernet 10/100

We are on a 40Mbps/8Mbps as you can see we pretty much hit the mark in both up and down streams, often we surpass our designated speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 29 of 100

Go to solution

I don't think we've seen any technical details in either of the threads this poster has started.

He only appears to want to complain and has not provided any constructive feedback to any of the people who have tried to help him.

This is fine if you only want assistance from the BT team but why post here?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 30 of 100

Go to solution

AnthonyUK,

I can see why Disilusion is a bit miffed by you.  They posted in July detailing in some leangth (http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Home-Hub-3-WiFi-Speed-Appauling/td-p/577023) what the problem was and you were damright rude to them.   Other replies to threads are arrogant and appear to lack knowledge (Read your own post and consider it- http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Home-Hub-3-WiFi-Speed-Appauling/td-p/577023/page/2)  Not helpful and certainly not knowlegable about the issues raised here.  Your attitude is enough to drive anyone away from a forum.  If you are a BT employee defending BT say so but don't become agressive to individuals who post anything slightly negative about BT.  It is apparent from Disilutionse post that the problem has been investigated with no satisfactory result and is not isolated.  Certainly from my searching the web have seen the problem described posted in other forums too.

If this really is a major or widespread problem do you really think BT would admit it publicly?

0 Ratings