cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 31 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

Thanks for the comments. I guess you felt strongly enough to register just to post that.

I think I'll wait until you have posted a few more times though 😉

I have absolutely no affiliation to BT either and have been critical of the HH3 in other areas Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 32 of 100

Go to solution
Hi Guys,

Can we please keep it friendly.

@ Disillusione. I can look into this for you. If you want me to help drop me an email with the details. You’ll get the contact us link in my profile.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 100

Go to solution

Comments noted.

Please delete my account as requested 2 days ago.  I find the reception here very frosty and some of the contributors extremely rude.

I wish you luck in the dark, content with mediocrity and simple minds.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 34 of 100

Go to solution

It seems that this thread has gone a little off topic? In general it seems that people have tried to offer ideas that may help to diagnose the issue. It is possible that there is a problem with your router howerver that can not be proved or disproved via the eivdence provided within this thread. The HomeHub is simply a router / wireless gateway there are many things that can affect wireless performance as with any router / AP without doing in depth analysis of your individual network setup it is very difficult for a third party to analyse the issue.

From your provided "SpeedTest" results your wireless network throughput does seem to be lower than I would have exprected, that said there are many factors that may affect it. If you can provide a little more info then forum users and moderators may be able to offer more specific advice.

1> What wireless network card are you using 802.11a/b/g/n?

2> When using your wireless device roughly how far away from your AP are you?

3> Are you in plain sight of your AP or do you have walls floors in between?

4> Do you have any other wireless devices which you can use to test performance? if so does the issue affect all of them?

If you can answer some of the above it may help to narrow the issue down. People only want to help 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 100

Go to solution

I have a fairly new infinity and HH3, previously used a "normal broadband" connection with a HH2.

I have a netgear gigabit switch on the giga port of the HH 3 - using it to connect older computers and a Linux box that don't have wifi.

I was finding that from a wifi laptop to the wired linux box and SAMBA through the HH3 was horrendously slow.

Also the wifi to internet was not too good.

I put my old HH 2 back into the loop, connected it to my netgear switch, changed HH2 IP address to not conflict with HH3, and then connected my laptop to the old wifi on HH2.... now the wired Linux box is back in use as a media server via HH2 wifi and the netgear switch.

Wifi via HH2 to netgear switch then out to broadband via HH3 is FASTER than wifi direct to HH3 and out.

Wifi with the HH2 is much faster than HH3. note I still use the DNS etc on the HH3.

I switched off the wifi on the HH3 - but I note that the BT FON stuff appears to still be there (?)

The HH3 is also CONTINUALLY sending many packets out to the switch - perhaps a bug - not sure what they are?

I would agree that HH3 is not fit for purpose - £40 down the drain? I was going to try to sell the HH2 - it also uses power that should not be necessary....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 100

Go to solution

Interensting!

What I don't understand if the device is not fit for purpose, how can I have 3 people using the business hub 3 (my parents, my g/f's parents and her sister), all of which I've configured having no issues.

I cannot replicate the issues what-so-ever, so either there is a poor configuration on the device, or something else is worng!

What did you have set as the gateway for the linux box, which protocol did you have for transfer? SMB/FTP/AFP?

What details were in the ARP cache? 

Which route was it taking? as in was the linux box forced to go through the HH with port forwarding, or directly hubbed?

Which ports did you have the switch plugged into?

Was there any VLAN configration on the switch? if so, how was the roting configured between VLANs?

Or wasn't it a switch or infact a hub? If so did you try different ports on the hub?

There's so many contributing factors that it could be the HH3, or it maybe somthing in your configuration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 37 of 100

Go to solution

Hi Richarobi,

In the house we also have a Linux server (plexmediaserver, ushare, SMB, NFS etc), a raspberry pi, 2 Xbox 360, Wii, Xbox1 for XBMC, 4 laptops of various ages, IP cams, Ipads, Iphones, Blackberries etc etc and all working 100%.

I get around 70Mb/s SAMBA transfer speeds and full speeds from apt updated on Linux.

I use a managed Gigabit switch so can set the port speed/duplex but I think it is set on auto negotiate.

I can't agree that the HH3 is not fit for purpose as it works for me and I'm guessing 1000's of other people but there is perhaps a hardware incompatability that needs to be investigated. This maybe with the HH3 or it could be with your hardware e.g. you may try setting full/half duplex on your linux box to see if it makes any difference but without further info it does sound like a wifi issue to me.

The main issue I have found with wifi N is not sticking to the standards and BT are as guilty of this as other vendors.

You shouldn't be able to set any other type of encryption except WPA2 with AES when wifi is set to N mode.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 100

Go to solution

I checked both settings again (again).

They are both set to b/g/n, and wpa & wpa2 (i.e. identical)

channels are set differently - and not automatic. I used xirrus wifi inspector to ensure no conflicts.

With both running wifi I can switchover from one wifi to the other.

HH3 shows 130-140 Mbps, HH2 shows 65, BUT the transfer through from the wired linux box running SAMBA (i.e.SMB) to windows vista is horrendous when the vista is on the HH3 wifi, BUT good when on the HH2 wifi.

I change nothing on the LINUX box or physical lan to do this. I only switch wifi on the windows vista and NOTHING else.

Therefore the problem appears to be the HH3 wifi, to spell it out :

linux - switch - HH2 - wifi - windows vista = fine         windows vista - wifi - HH2 - switch - HH3 - broadband = fine

linux - switch - HH3 - wifi - windows vista = SLOW      windows vista - wifi - HH3 -broadband = SLOW

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 100

Go to solution

What's the status of the 40MHz option on the HH3?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 100

Go to solution

40 MHZ not in use (recommended settings on both HH)

0 Ratings