cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 81 of 100

Re: It's Official BT HomeHub 3 is not fit for purpose!

Go to solution

@Muffy - Microwaves work in the same frequency band as your WiFi so your observations are correct Smiley Happy

Actually, this is more common than you think!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 100

Go to solution

@richrarobi - That's not normal!  I've not seen that on my HH3, or anyone else's that I know of.  Have you tried factory-resetting it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 100

Go to solution

weell ......compare the nuisance value of removing the 10/100 connection (done and dusted)  against getting up at random(ish) intervals - say about every fifth to tenth photograph you are viewing/ showing someone....and resetting the (b***) HH3.... waiting the requisite 4 minutes for the reset, and reconnecting........ so I Just work round the issue now, thought others might find it useful !

.. also the problem MAY not happen if you don't use the gigabit port - I got fed up trying to prove what works, what doesn't - I spent too long in tech support for my own good - maybe I'll try that one again, you don't actually need a gig connection to broadband! Maybe it's a WinVista wifi glitch when linux is on a gigabit switch and a mac is on 10/100. There are so many possible variations on the possibles only the manufacturer has the resources to test them all. (N*vell had test labs that spent a fortune on gear to do just this, plus kit donated from every approved company!! Those were the days... 🙂 )

I must say that to BT's credit they did send me a replacement HH3 - the broadband service is vgood, and in comparison to V****gin the support is better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 100

Go to solution

I've missed a lot of this thread so am not sure whether this query is relevant. It concerns the range of HH3. I live in an old house with single skin brick walls, no metal and no insulation material. On one side is a 2-storey extension built c. 1914 so that the wall between these 2 rooms and the main house is an original exterior wall. In this extension it is impossible to connect by wireless to my hub. This applies to various makes of Smart Mobiles and to our Samsung tablet. All these devices connect well in the rest of the house: in no case am I looking for a range over 50ft. If I try to connect from the exterior of the house much the same situation exists. No connection is possible. I've tried siting the hub in differebt rooms and in the extension and it simply will not pass a signal through the wall.

It is interesting that our cordless phones, one BT and one Panasonic can both connect to their base unit through this wall.

I've tried talking to the help desk but they are not interested and it is very heavy going to explain the problem. As soon as I tell them I have good connectivity and speed within the original house it becomes all my fault!

Any ideas how I should proceed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 85 of 100

Go to solution

As you have already found wireless signals are not very strong from the Homehub and can be blocked by walls etc. You might find a different router that has a stronger signal or you could consider getting a wireless range extender. This would pickup your wireless signal from the homehub and boost it and "forward" it to your extension. They range in price from about £25 to £75 depending on make.

Keith Beddoe is one of the resident experts on this type of equipment and setting it up so he may be able to offer better advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 86 of 100

Go to solution

There can be all sorts of reasons why your network may drop out, particularly in older properties.

IMO the easiest way if you had a particularly long distance, (or were going through walls), would be to invest in powerline adaptors if you had just one device to connect or, if you wanted to extend the range of your wifi network, a range extender, as the other fella says. Alternatively powerline adaptors with the wireless extender built into one of them. You can even get them with pasthrough electrical current so you don't even lose a plug-hole 🙂

The other advantage is that, because they're using the wire in the house, security isn't really an issue. More so because they allow you to have your wifi router power output, depending on the type, turned down or, in some cases, off altogether 🙂 That's obviously the most secure because you don't have a wifi signal being broadcast.

Running cat5 or 6 cabling around your house is a nightmare but the thing is you probably don't actually NEED several devices in each room and, if you do, you can get a cheap unmanaged hub for about a tenner, depending on where you get it.

I've got a simple 4 port hub in between my powerline adaptor, (supplied with BT vision), and the BT vision box. It works fine. The one I've got actually does wifi as well so it cost a little more... about £25 IIRC. In the other slots I can plug in my laptop, or whatever, and use the wifi facility on the hub to extend the wifi into that area of the house for tablets, phones, etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 100

Go to solution

I actually design WLAN systems and can personally vouch for the effectiveness of the HH3 as I have one myself.  I also have a variety of Enterprise-class Cisco wireless access points and some of them actually don't penetrate certain types of building structures as well as the HH3.

It's all very well saying you could try a different, more powerful router, but it might be a pointless exercise if the client device can't penetrate the same obstacle.  I think something that people don't realise is that as well as the router being able to penetrate walls, etc, the actual client device also has to be able to do the same thing.

DECT cordless phones don't generally use the same frequencies as 802.11b/g and 802.11a anymore so the propagation characteristics are different to that of WiFi (usually further distances can be achieved due to the longer wavelength of 1.9GHz for example).  Therefore it's not really fair to compare the two.

DECT can transmit at up-to around 250mW in Europe and this is more than is generally available or allowed by WiFi equipment in the ETSI region, so it's fair to assume you could expect a DECT phone to have a better range than your WiFi router.  If you combine that with the assumption that DECT antennas usually have a higher gain than SOHO WiFi devices that's even more reason to not compare the two.

If you use a range extender there's no guarantee it would work.  If it can't penetrate the same obstacle as the HH3 (assuming you're actually truly 'extending' the signal, and not adding a second access point) it would serve no purpose, and if you put it the other side of the obstacle it wouldn't link to the HH3 anyway so it wouldn't extend anything.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 100

Go to solution

Well it was the HH3 and not my house, my street, my computers etc....  After arguing with BT since July 2012 and being flamed by many on here the proof arrived today in the form of a BT HomHub 5.  I unpacked it and connected it up with no problems at all and ran some speed tests.

Historic but very recent results from the latest HH3 I was sent by BT - 24/11.13:

20131124EiFi.png

Results with HH3 and Cat5 patch cable to router:

20131124c5.png

Now the proof for you sceptics to my previous protestations in this thread -

Results with HH5 and Wifi (150Mb/s 802.11b/g/n and not the faster 300Mb/s setting available nor 5.8Ghz which is also available on this router)

20131128EiFi.png

Results of HH5 and Cat5 cable:

20131128c5.png

Nothing else has changed other than swapping out the HH3 and removing the white box for infinity (The HH5 has it all built into one) and replacing it with the HH5.  I even checked, using inSSIDer that no other changes with neighbours WiFi around me - They were still all there.

Tell my now that I was just unlucky and had 3 HH3s, which were all defective and my problems are now solved with a working HH5.  Well hopefully they are solved now with the HH5 but BT have never wanted to admit this problem publicly or they would have had to replace a large percentage of hubs at a collosal cust to their proffits.

Thank you for all your assistance, support and advice over the past 15 months of frustration and banging my head against the wall with BT's 'Support Man Frustrated' line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 100

Go to solution

Just to show the HH5 results were not a fluke after the first install:

20131201 WiFi.png

Note: this is from another laptop (an old Lenovo X61 this time and not my usual Lenovo X1)  connected via WiFi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 90 of 100

BT Hub 3 functionally inadequate

Go to solution
In March this year, 2014, I was sent a BT Hub3 as part of an 'upgrade' of my BT Broadband supply. Since installation I have experienced high frequency of drop out of Wi-Fi and also even when using a hard wired Ethernet connection I was getting daily drop out of broadband connection. My BT Vision link is via this Hub3 and resets daily. The Bt Hub3 is a completely inferior piece of kit and not fit for purpose: Broadband, Wi-Fi & Vision.

I escalated the problem to the technical support team based in Lincoln and did all the swaps, deletions, disconnects, resets, test sockets and so on. All to no success in getting a good service. The conclusion was that I must have a lot of kit in my house that interferes with the Hub3.

I went back to basics and approached BT sales with a new application for Broadband. My network is not upgraded to Infinity so a standard Broadband connection was offered and guess what, not a Hub3 in sight. No longer offered, withdrawn and replaced by Hub4, a 'much better piece of kit' to quote BT.

It is installed and works faultlessly. This is it's third week now and not one drop out.

Hub3 is rubbish. What recourse could I have? Watch out BT, Trading Standards are on the case.
0 Ratings