cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Jargon And The Real Picture

My Infinity order has been accepted and scheduled for 1 Feb installation.  I should be happy but it's difficult to be confident and  enthusiastic after reading the postings here.

Webby or Keith, have you got any info on the real situation?  What percentage of new Infinity customers are experiencing the problems posted here?  Is it better to ditch the HH3 and buy an independant router?

Are the guys on the ground actually struggling with fibre optics technology...there seems to be so many 'ifs and buts'!

Has there got to be a 'bedding in' period before they get it right and reliable?

I've said some harsh things about bt here but I do recognise the scale of the project, but they really have got to do something about the abysmal customer interface. 

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Jargon And The Real Picture

99% of customers on here have problems, if people don't have a problem they rarely have a reason to go onto a forum. Infinity has been around for quite a while now and it works brilliantly. Problems will occur and most often they're not because of the technology, but because of the copper wire between the customers home and the cabinet or the Openreach modem (early ones have been identified with the potential to go faulty from overheating)

I work for BT and deal with Infinity customers on a daily basis. I only see it when things go really really wrong, but statistics wise only a very small percent of customers have problems. There's now have more than a million customers on BT's Infinity so if you take the number of faults you have here vs that number, it's a very small margin.

Personally I don't use the home hub but only because I there are some things that it doesn't support that I use at home. When I had the hub installed initially it worked for it's purpose and I never saw any problems.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 31

I'm in the 1% on here without problems with either the installation or service.

The engineer fitted a new master socket (which required drilling through an 18" thick stone wall), wall mounted the modem, installed the HH3 and away I went, synced at 40Mbps/10Mbps showing a speedtest result of 38/9.

I had to reset the modem once a few days after installation, but in the 6 weeks since it has stayed connected without problems. I left the HH3 in place for a fortnight and it worked flawlessly and had I not already owned a Billion BiPac 7800N it would still be in place today.

The Billion gives better wireless coverage through my very thick internal walls and has gigabit ethernet on all it's ports (I think the HH3 only has one such port) but other than that I was happy with the HH.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

@julesandsand wrote:

I'm in the 1% on here without problems with either the installation or service.

The engineer fitted a new master socket (which required drilling through an 18" thick stone wall), wall mounted the modem, installed the HH3 and away I went, synced at 40Mbps/10Mbps showing a speedtest result of 38/9.

I had to reset the modem once a few days after installation, but in the 6 weeks since it has stayed connected without problems. I left the HH3 in place for a fortnight and it worked flawlessly and had I not already owned a Billion BiPac 7800N it would still be in place today.

The Billion gives better wireless coverage through my very thick internal walls and has gigabit ethernet on all it's ports (I think the HH3 only has one such port) but other than that I was happy with the HH.

Yup, mine has worked great too Smiley Happy

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Hi julesand sand, what biscuits did you give the engineer to get him to drill through a half metre wall?Smiley Very Happy  (Ref. previous comment on other post)

Seriously, was there an additional charge?  My installation will be less onerous than that!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 31

just to add...I moved to inifinity in september - The installation was simples and since then my service has been excellent (speed; a constant 35/8, wifi coverage in house; all over, and uptime; never had a prob) . so much so i've recently added Apple TV to my living room (which i would not have stood a chance of doing before - not even close!!) and my son can now play PS3 online! and win.

it is interesting to see the posts of others but do bear in mind that the forum acts as a conduit for problem resolution - so it is always one sided.

oh....bourbons or garibaldi's !!

A

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 31

I didn't even give him a cup of tea! It was a Friday afternoon and he called a colleugue in to help him - they were working in the dark outside and did a great job.

There was no additional charge - the new MS was installed as my old one was in an unsuitable location for the router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 31

Hi,

The 3 guys I've had round haven't had time for tea or biscuits.

I'm sure the vast majority of infinity customers (the infinitums!) are perfectly happy with their installations.

The forum is partly to solve problems, and I'm sure the vast majority of us who have had problems have had them sorted out - you would have to be very unfortunate to be one of the very small minority who still have problems after say the first month.

Think Positive!

Michael.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Thanks webby, it was the national % I was interested in.  I understand that the forum focuses the negative but there's also a figure for the unfortunates that don't post their experiences here!  

I've never used any other ISP because, generally, I've not had major problems.  My ADSL/HH2 service has been good considering where we're located in relation to the exchange.

Having said that I must admit to a rough ride with bt during the first few weeks with my ADSL service, but it was eventually sorted.  It's my experience that you have to be persistent with bt because they rarely take the initiative and spend time and effort unless pushed.

It's often possible to obtain good info by talking to the engineers because they have no axe to grind and would sooner not have to keep returning to your property.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 31

There is no bedding in period (10 day training) like with ADSL. From the off you will be put on a wide profile, if that works satisfactory thats it "training" over. If it doesn't a lower profile is picked. The openreach documentation explains it better but it's basically bang on from the off, having a power cut or turning the modem off won't bring the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse to your connection thats for sure.
0 Ratings