cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Jumping the gun

Shouldn't BT iron all the problems out with youview before they start hiring new stars for the sports channels,FTTP is never going to happen so why don't they go into the satellite TV business its time sky had a competitor,Bt use the  technology so why not step on skys toes and do it right for once .......

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Jumping the gun

Which problems specifically? I use YouView and since the update this week, I now have no problems at all. Even before that I only had 1, which was a minor annoyance rather then a show stopper.
0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

FTTP is already there, and some new build estates I believe it's a requirement to have the cabinets/ducts in place to the premises. Not to be confused with fibre-on-demand which is different and currently expensive.

Why should BT go into the sattellite business? They are enabling exchanges to multicast already - this is in early stages so teething problems will be expected for early adopters but it will settle down and compete with Sky without dishes. To me this will eventually be a better option because it won't be affected by weather or trees which was the reason I cancelled sky a couple of years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

"FTTP is never going to happen" - Well I have it and it's very good. I do agree that they really need to sort out the errors with the BT Vision part of YouView, though.

0 Ratings
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

fttp, wont go all over the country its to expensive ,the problem with the sevice at the moment is speed its not constant your neighbour could be on the same package and not get the same speed due to interfernce ,poor lines etc.                              your vision might work fine as does mine but 2 doors down from me running from the same pole its a waste of space ....the whole cable network needs replacing .........

0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

You're right about the cost at the moment, but as far as I'm aware FTTP doesn't use any of the old (or new) cables, it's fibre all the way to the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

There's plenty of people who can't get satellite, either because there's something blocking the line of sight, or they live in a conservation area and aren't allowed to stick dishes on the sides of their houses.

FTTC is perfectly capable of streaming HD video, and BT they could even offer over the better ADSL connections if they wanted to (but they don't because they want to sell Infinity).

BT have spent a lot of money upgrading all their telecomms infrastructure to support multicasting of video.  They aren't going to give all that up just to become another BSB*.

*For those who don't remember, that's the satellite company who tried to compete with Sky, ran out of money, and got gought out by Sky.

0 Ratings
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

If the service was cheaper and had the right programs it would close skys monopoly down all the adverts and we pay top dollar .

0 Ratings