Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Juniper Router on BT Broadband Issues

Dear BT Care Community,

I'm going a bit mental with this issue. I have a BT Homehub router that I'm trying to replace with a Juniper SRX210 Router.

I have managed to sync to the DSLAM, no problem. Network connection comes up without any issue, receive IP address and everything seems to be in good order... except that I can only really connect TCP Port 80 traffic to google.com and bt.com and maybe a handful of other, random sites.

Here's a short summary of the behavior I'm seeing:

- ICMP traffic will pass and return to all websites/IP Address ranges.
- TCP traffic on Port 80 works for basically google.com and bt.com, but nothing else.
- UDP port 53 (DNS) seems to work with Google Public DNS.
- The router is even reachable from the outside (it responds to ping and TCP port 23 (telnet) and I can log in successfully from remote locations)

So, as you can see the router is configured and is passing traffic no problem. It's BT that is filtering HTTP traffic (and other traffic) to anything but BT and Google.

Now, I tried to use this "BT TechExperts" service (who are supposedly there to help you configure 3rd party routers) and after I got a guy on there that knew neither what a DSLAM was, what TCP was (I'm not kidding), and what CHAP was, I hung up and so I think we can ignore any help that BT could really contribute here.

I've now spent about 10 consecutive hours trying to debug this problem, but I'm just not getting anywhere. It has to be BT filtering traffic due to some problem with the configuration.

Googling this issue has brought a few things to light: This behavior of only being able to access google.com and bt.com IP ranges seems to be happening to a number of people on occasion, although nobody has identified the root cause. People complain that this is the symptom, but nobody has posted a resolution/root cause identification that I have been able to find.Smiley Sad

It's pretty clear that BT is filtering my traffic. The question is why does it do that on my Juniper SRX and not when I use this BT Homehub thing? There must be something in the configuration that makes it behave this way and fall into some sort of basic/diagnostic mode only. Am I on the right track here?

Someone suggested that this pattern (access google.com and bt.com only) when you stop paying your bill (that's obviously not the case here as when I plug in the BT Homehub, everything works!).

Below, I have a few diagnostics from the router itself (I can post more extensive diagnostics. Just tell me what you need, I can run debug logs, packet capture, anything that will help pin down the problem).

Here's the configuration for interface at-1/0/0:

interfaces at1 config - 1.png

(can post full configuration, nothing secret there, don't want to swamp this post)

Here's the show interfaces at-1/0/0:

show interfaces - 1.png

(again, can post show interfaces at-1/0/0 extensive if anyone is interested)

At this stage, I'm willing to even throw some money at the problem. If anyone can help me solve this, I can send you 100 GBP in the mail, today.

Thank you everyone who's reading it. I appreciate this is all a bit technical, but maybe there is someone who has experienced similar issues/has gotten a Junos device to work on BT broadband and can share their configuration.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Juniper Router on BT Broadband Issues

BT will only support the BT Home hub, unless you are a BT Business customer.

Why is your router addressing a private address range 172.16.11.5 ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

I'm no technical expert and can offer no solution but I just want to highlight that this BT and Google conflict is now apparent in the top 3 or 4 topics in this category now, so BT MUST have done something during that Wednesday when this all started going wrong. I feel your pain with technical services, though.

Good luck, friend.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your reply. That's a good question, now that I think about it. This (172.16.11.5) is what comes out of the auto configuration (as you can see family inet is set to "auto-negotiate". It's my understanding that this is the setting that I should use.

This private IP address doesn't show up on the traceroute (I guess I would expect to see it as the first hop). I've attached a traceroute to the bbc.co.uk address (as stated ICMP works):

Traceroute BBC.co.uk - 1.PNG

I wonder what's going on there. If I trace back to the router from the outside (like I stated before, the router is in fact reachable from the outside!), I get this:

Reverse Traceroute BBC.co.uk - 1.PNG

For the avoidance of doubt (because of the comment about "Problems with Google" since Wednesday: If I plug my BT Homehub in, I have no issues. This purely happens with the Juniper SRX, so it seems to me that it must be a configuration issue). 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Try using BT DNS and see if the issue changes (you mention you're using Google DNS).

The problem might be how BT seem to have sinkholed all Google services except through their own range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

@ch wrote:

The problem might be how BT seem to have sinkholed all Google services except through their own range.

That has been the case for quite some time, its only now that people have noticed, when one of those interconnect links has problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Thank you everyone so far involved.

Checked: Changing to BT DNS changes nothing (this is to be expected, as the problem also exists if I access via IP Address, rather than letting devices resolve via DNS).

Regarding the unusual choice for 172.16.11.5 as a gateway choosen by the ADSL connection:

This seems to be the case even for my BT Home Hub. See screenshot below. And that works:

Same private IP via BT Home Hub - 1.PNG

I'd like to increase the reward I'm offering for the resolution of this problem to 150 GBP. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

The default gateway on my Billion router is not an IP address it is the PPP adaptor, i.e PPPoa0 in my case. Is the gateway configurable on the Juniper?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Dear liquorice,

That was an idea worth trying. I created a PPPoA gateway interface in my configuration, that I tied to the AT-1/0/0 interface. And I managed to bring it up as well (get IP address, etc). And again it works.... for google and the BT websites and a few others but for nothing else. So the behavior is still that it looks like BT is filtering traffic in this configuration.

This is the new interface configuration, if anyone is curious:

interfaces at1 config with pp gateway - 1.png

Can we get away from the problem that I have actually, and can someone explain what this behavior is that many people are seeing: You can get on the BT websites (not this community.bt.com one funnily) to google.com services and nothing else? This gets regularly reported on the internet as people having this problem. What does it signify?

Again, if I plug this BT Homehub in then everything is fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

It sounds to me as though the router is somehow not properly authenticating and you are getting to a 'landing page' type scenario. Just looking again, think I have spotted something. You are using bthomehub@btinternet.com as your user name, it should be btbroadband.com.

0 Ratings