Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Just BT Infinity not possible?

Go to solution

I have been waiting for quite some time for fibre-optic to be available where I live.  It now is.  However, I currently only have a standalone BT broadband package (someone else pays for the phone service through the Post Office, after leaving BT due to getting disgusted with their atrocious customer service, and has no problem with me using that line for my broadband, or using the phone on the extremely rare occasions I actually want or need to), and simply want to upgrade this to Infinity.  Judging from the information I have gleaned from BT's website about Infinity, this can't happen.  I can upgrade my broadband, as long as I am willing to not only pay for Infinity, but also pay for a phone package, including line rental, that I don't want, don't need and won't use, or I can go the whole hog and pay for both a phone package, including line rental, plus a TV service that I don't want, don't need and won't use.

Now, am I missing something, or is it simply not possible to actually pay BT for the service I actually want and will use, and nothing else?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Just BT Infinity not possible?

Go to solution

Hi  Zmidponk,

BT Retail (Residential) used to sell "broadband only" packages years ago, though this has changed and can now only sell you broadband if you take up their phone and line rental too.

Though BT Retail Business maybe able to just give you a BT Business Infinity Only service - visit http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/ for more info

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Well, BT Retail are able to provide me with a broadband only package on ADSL, as that is what I have right now, so I don't see why they are unable to provide a broadband only package on fibre-optic, especially as at least one of their competitors do (Virgin Media). If BT are simply not offering this option, then I guess I will be going to their competition.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Zmidponk, See my edited post above.

I'm afraid the packages for BT Retail (Residential) where changed a few years ago and the "broadband only" packages were not available for new customers/existing customers who were upgrading any more.

BT Retail Business maybe able to give you a broadband only package though.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
you must have an active BT line to purchase infinity line rental applies to all providers as to call packages there is a free weekend call package
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I'm afraid you're wrong to say that all providers insist on a line rental. As I said above, Virgin are one that don't:

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/30mb.html

However, Virgin don't offer service where I am. Even so, if I decide to actually get fibre-optic, which isn't a given, as I find the idea of mandatory bundles a fairly blatant scam, I think I will go with one of BT's competitors, as even the ones who do the same as BT are often cheaper, from what I can see. As for the business broadband idea, it's set up for the increased usage a business generates, so BT would be expecting me to pay for that, to the degree there is very little difference in price between that and the home broadband+phone package, so isn't really any kind of solution.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
cable operators work differently to those who use the copper network there
fore are discounted particularly as they are only available in a very small coverage area of the UK

packages are used as they offer better value for money then individual services and also provide a single contract date when you are then able to negotiate better prices
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

If 'cable operators work differently', but the way they 'work differently' makes them able to offer just the service I am looking for, as a customer, I'll go with the cable operator, thanks - and this means that BT should take a look at how they operate and learn lessons.

Packages only offer better value for money if you assume the customer wants or needs and will use all the services in said package. If that is not the case, like in my situation, what actually happens is that the customer is forced to pay for services they don't want, don't need and won't use in order to get the one service they actually want and will use. It would be like walking into a shop, looking for a new film on DVD, and expecting to pay about a tenner to get it, but finding that DVD has only been released in a double pack with another new film for £15. If you at least like the other film, that ends up being a bit of a bargain, but, if you don't want the other film and will never watch it, it's a bit of a rip-off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

to explain simply all ISP's who use the Openreach copper/fibre  network require a line rental as well as the charges for broadband the line rental covers the costs of installing and maintaining the line I do not know any one who does not use there phone and broadband services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Right now, as I type this, I have ADSL broadband only with BT.  No phone, no TV.  I am, in fact, sending this message over the broadband service you seem to be implying cannot possibly exist.  There is a phone service at my address, but it is not in my name, I do not pay for it, it is not with BT, and I can't actually remember the last time I've actually had occasion to use it.  Currently, BT has no problem whatsoever with routing my broadband through the same physical wire without a line rental being charged to me.  Now, as BT are using mostly an FTTC fibre-optic system, and not an FTTP system, the simple fact that I can now upgrade at all means the physical wiring required is already in place, it is just a question of whether BT are willing to allow me to pay for fibre-optic broadband only and route it through the line that is already there without the phone service on that line being with them, and without charging me a line rental, as they do currently with my ADSL broadband.  From what I can see, they are simply not willing to do that, but there seems to be no good reason why they are not willing to do that.

0 Ratings