cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Just been signed for 18 month contract while 12 months into current one?

I signed up for bt broadband almost 12 months ago, and as part of it paid up front for 12 months line rental to make a saving. 

I received an email yesterday letting me know the line rental saver is now due again at the end of feb if I wanted to renew it. I followed the link in the email and it all seemed easy enough.

But I have just received a confirmation email thanking me for paying by direct debit and that my package will run for 18 months and lists not only the line rental, but also the broadband and caller i.d etc. But my current contract runs for 18 months because I had signed for Infinity 2 12 months ago.

Worried now that I'm somehow getting crossover contracts and it will be a mess to sort out. Especially if i can't get through to someone in the U.K to explain it all properly. Help? Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Just been signed for 18 month contract while 12 months into current one?

Actually this is worse than I thought. It seems to have changed my direct debut from monthly, to whole bill payment. Sigh. If the website can't handle me making simple payments then maybe it shouldn't let me do them in the first place. What a mess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

If you would like to try Live Chat they should be able to help you.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the link. I have just spoken to them and honestly I am none the wiser. I couldn't get a straight answer about the whole bill direct debit thing, so have no idea if I'll face a huge bill at anytime. Is there anyone here from B.T than can help me further please?

edit: just tried speaking to them on the phone and have been given a contradictory answer. This is starting to be a bit of a nightmare now, I simply can't afford to have taken the amount that they are talking about and can't get anyone to tell me why I am on whole bill direct debit and how to stop it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Hi Retrovertigo,

We can help you get this sorted if you send over your details using the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Neil. Im on disability and am worried about what my next payments will be.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Had a call back from a very helpful chap yesterday who did his best to sort me out, but admitted he found it almost as convoluted as I did.

One thing I'm not happy about is the assumption from B.T's system that because I paid line rental up front for 12 months, that I automatically want a new 12 month broadband contract.  But that is exactly what has happened. Shocking to be honest.  

Edit: i also found out that despite being charged for caller display for the last 12 months, that it should have been free because I paid my line rental up front. Who do I speak to about getting my account credited for that?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

re contact the mod who helped you
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@Retrovertigo wrote:

One thing I'm not happy about is the assumption from B.T's system that because I paid line rental up front for 12 months, that I automatically want a new 12 month broadband contract.  But that is exactly what has happened. Shocking to be honest.   

That certainly doesn't sound right! 

I've used line rental saver several times and as far as I'm aware it has never had any affect on your existing Phone contract in any way. You are merely buying line rental credit up front at a cheap rate. It's non-refundable and if you end up not using it all due to changing provider then that's your choice. 

I haven't seen anything on the marketing web pages or official terms and conditions stating otherwise.

Re-contracting Phone Line Rental for another 12 months is another matter. That gains you the free 12 months BT Privacy with Caller Display and certainly does involve a new contract. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

ReContracting Phone Line Rental does not give you automatic 12 month BT Privacy with Caller Display. That has to be requested separately.
0 Ratings