Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Just joined BT Broadband and download speed seems very slow

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with what I think is a very slow download speed. I'll begin by saying that I only joined BT Broadband a few days ago so I'm aware that I'm within the 10 day settling in period and that's why I'm posting here for some advice rather than phoning the helpdesk. For the past couple of years I had an excellent and consistent download speed of around 6Mb from my previous ISP. I changed to BT to save some money, although I'm already beginning to regret that decision, as my current download speed from BT struggles to reach 1Mb.

I switched over on the 21st and have had a constant connection since then but I disconnected the Home Hub tonight to try the test socket (it made no difference). My sync speed is fine, but the download speed isn't.

From the Home Hub:

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 day, 02:26:08
Downstream: 7,456 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 15.2 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 14.5 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 303 / 1
CRC Events (Down/Up): 4 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 61 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

From BT's Speed Test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1105 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7456 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

I did have a problem with my phone line (very noisy and crackling) a few weeks ago which BT fixed (and now when I do the quiet line test it sounds perfectly quiet). However, I've just done a line test at bt.com and it found a line fault "at or near my premises". I'll see what the engineer says if they send someone out. My line sounds fine to me though, I just did the line test out of desperation and was surprised that it found a fault, but I'll see what comes from that.

I've only really used the internet in the evenings after work which I know is during peak times, web browsing is fine but downloading anything is taking a lot longer than I'm used to. I suppose what I'm asking is is this speed correct and what I should be expecting from my new BT Broadband connection or is there a problem somewhere?

Thanks for any help or advice.

John

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Just joined BT Broadband and download speed seems very slow

I'd ask you to please wait until your training period is over, which will be on the 1st January.  BT cannot do anything to your line until this period is waited.  It however does look like congestion to the naked eye.

0 Ratings
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the reply Edd.  I'll just monitor it until my 10 days are up.  I suspected congestion too though and so I expect I'll see the same results after the settling in period.  Very disappointing.  I'm actually getting a faster connection by tethering my iPhone and using its 3G connection!!  I'll update this post next week.  Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.

0 Ratings
resisnake
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

John you're not alone. I get terrible speeds in the morning and evening and I've only been with BT less than a month. I joined BT knowing I'd be paying more money than my previous ISP but thought as it's BT then it'll be a top quality unlimited downloads service.

Hoping the mods can help me.

0 Ratings
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I've just done another speed test before going to bed - I'm now getting over 6Mb which is what I expect from my line given my past experience.  This is up from 1Mb just half an hour ago.  Either everyone in my area has just gone to bed and so the congestion has eased (very possible) or BT's traffic management is very buggy (I'm a software quality engineer so I also know how possible that is!).  I'll keep running the tests and see how it goes.  Good night guys! 🙂

0 Ratings
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

My broadband has been continuing to go frustratingly slow in the evenings so I thought I'd run a few speed tests tonight to show the pattern.   I still have a couple of days to go before my 10 days are up so I'll obviously wait until then before contacting BT.  However, BT did contact me over the weekend to confirm that they've done some additional line tests and can't detect any faults on my line.

6pm

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4698 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :7488 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

8pm

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1932 Kbps

Additional Information:

9.30pm

Download speedachieved during the test was - 599 Kbps

Additional Information:

I also just ran speedtest.net and it came back with

Ping: 1271ms (!)

Download: 0.14Mbps

Upload: 0.16Mbps

I'm struggling to load web pages at the moment, so I’m going to watch TV - thankfully I have Sky and resisted BT Vision!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

really looks like a congestion problem

is there any problems showing for your exchange  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for the reply 🙂  No, there are no issues listed for my exchange (Anstruther, Fife) and the Virtual Paths is Green.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

with the last test the download speed is below acceptable limits you can try and see if mods can help  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

they will have to contact wholesale who may be reluctant to help but can but try

mods can take 3 days to reply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnmackay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for the help imjolly.  I'll send them a message later this week when my 10 day stabilisation period is over.

0 Ratings