cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Just moved to BT infinity, having issues with my IP Phone..?

Hi Guys,

Just moved house and it was not a cabled area so had to go with BT..

So l work in IT and as such sometimes work from home using our voip phones(Avaya).  Everything worked fine with Virgin but when the phone creates the VPN to the phone server, it gets stuck at a discover screen..?

When l log onto the HH5, l found out it can not be turned into a router and can not plave a draytek behind it, so l have to deal with the HH5.

So looking throught the settings i found the DMZ and port forwarding, tried to port forward the AVAYA port 1719 and it will not let me, tried putting the phone in the DMZ, would not let me, l eventualy got it to get passed the discovery screen and the phone connected but only by opening a random port that had no relevance to the avaya phone.

pls help

Thanks

Brendan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Just moved to BT infinity, having issues with my IP Phone..?

Either buy an Openreach modem from a well known auction site and use the Draytek in conjunction with that (assuming Draytek is not a VDSL mdem/router combo) or just get a combined VDSL modem/router. Either way ditches the HH5.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi Licquorice,

Thanks for the reply !

So is there a known compatabiluty issue with the HH5??

Its strange how it starts to work after opening a completely random port, l would also like to understand why its not working ??

Thanks

Brendan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

The HH5 is just a cheap and nasty ISP router that is pretty well locked down for anything other than basic operation. Reading through the forum, sometimes VPNs work, sometimes they don't. BT are forever tinkering with the firmware that seems to break things.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah I understand the cheap isp supplied router problem.

It's an old draytek 2820 I have so not upto the job anymore to use as a stand alone unit, l would need to invest in something a little newer..

Thanks for your help, do you have a technical reason why it's not working or is it just hit n miss ??

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Not really, it just seems some people are OK with the hub, others have nothing but trouble. Turning off smart set up and splitting the wireless networks overcomes some problems, might be worth a try if you haven't already done that.

0 Ratings