Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 27

Just ordered Infinity 2, please advise

Go to solution

I've just left o2 and moved over to BT.

I have been set up with the normal broadband service to start with, as I was told by BT staff that I had to be an existing customer before ordering Infinity 2, which I've ordered today and it is due to go live on 18th Sept.

The hub 3 I have says type A underneath so that rang alarm bells, as reading some threads previously, I can see type B seems to be what people suggest? What I would like to know is, as a new customer should I have been sent a Type B (the black hub) instead of a type A, or does this type A and B refer to what the engineer brings with him and not the black BT hub?

I do not use wireless so will connect via Ethernet when the engineer arrives. Simply, I hope I do not suffer from these same issues as many members on here have had with low speeds. The initial estimate shows about 53 down and 16 up.

If I should have received a type B hub, hopefully I can get the one I have swapped over, or am I OK to use this now the firmware update seems to have solved some if not all of the previous reported problems?

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

The firmware on the hub currently shows Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: Just ordered Infinity 2, please advise

Go to solution
I forgot to ask if it is necessary to leave both the hub and modem turned on all the time, once Infinity 2 goes live?
I always turn off my current equipment at night in order to save on the electricity bill, plus what is the point in leaving something switched on, if you are not using it....
Thanks.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Yes you will be ok with the type A hub

As to your hub and modem yes they need to be left on at all times as every power up and down will be seen as line instability/noise and it will cause your IP Profile to drop causing lower down load speeds which may then take weeks of uninterrupted connection to recover the power usage is minimal

sjtp
Guru
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

The modem should be left on all the time.  You can turn off the router or disconnect/reconnect it without DLM noticing; and indeed it is sometimes worth doing this to ensure any DLM speed increases get propogated to your IP profile.

cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

You will probably find that when you upgrade to BT Infinity you will be sent a new HH3 router - type B.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution
the poster has just moved from 02 and has been sent a HH3 A they are very unlikely to upgrade a hub for the sake of it
0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

@Craig_UK wrote:
I forgot to ask if it is necessary to leave both the hub and modem turned on all the time, once Infinity 2 goes live?
I always turn off my current equipment at night in order to save on the electricity bill, plus what is the point in leaving something switched on, if you are not using it....
Thanks.

i dont think you will have a problem if you switch the modem and the router off at night but you will probably end up replacing the homehub anyway as both the a and the b arent very good

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.

My infinity 2 order when I looked at the tracking did show another Homehub3, so I rang BT earlier this afternoon, as I didn't want to pay another delivery fee for something that I already have.

I was told it was just a formality and an order shows this anyway and a new Hub is not being sent out due to already having one.

Nobody has even heard of all the Infinity problems when you mention it, either people I have spoken to in the UK or the Indian call centre.

So as it stands I end up keeping the existing type A hub, keep all fingers, toes and bits and bobs crossed, hoping it will work hehe

I'll ask the engineer about turning the hub off at night along with the computer and just leave the power on to the modem the engineer brings at all times. I have always switched off at night and usually turn the modem on about 11 in the morning, so it would only be switched off once a day anyway. If the engineer says leave both on, then so be it 🙂

Hi Bullitt, where you have put you will end up replacing the home hub anyway regardless of type a or b, do you mean I would be better off buying one myself?  If so, wouldn't BT not give you customer support since you would no longer be using their equipment?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution
you can use any router you wish on BT they will just not support the device they still support the modem and your infinity connection
0 Ratings
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

I power down my pc when I'm not using it, but always leave the modem on.  You can power down the router.

But do leave the modem on at all times!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’