Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 27

Re: Just ordered Infinity 2, please advise

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies. Installation is this coming Tuesday, so I'll keep you updated with how I get on.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

Well all up and running, the engineer was in and out within half a hour.

My initial speed estimate was

Your broadband speed

Your download speed should be: 52.9Mb

Your upload speed should be: 15.7Mb

Speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/ shows download is 53.36 so that's spot on, but upload is only 8.80 which is a big difference from the estimation, although still way better than 1.3 previously.

Does anyone have any idea why the upload speed is way lower than the estimation? The BT engineer mentioned something about 58/20 which I assume is my profile.

When I log into the router, I used to be able to see in the advanced settings what the up and down speed was, but this no longer shows, so I assume it's because I need to see the modem now and not the hub settings?

Would someone please let me know how I can see the connection speed it gives you for up and down.

Finally the enginner said to leave the hub and modem on at all times. From previous answers, I was told it was safe to power down the hub but leave the modem on. Does powering down mean putting it into power save mode, or can I actually turn the hub off at night at the mains, but obviously leave the modem on at all times?

I'd also like to see the firmware version for the modem to make sure it has had the update that hopefully stops the slow speed issues so many people were having previously (hopefully this has been sorted and not stll an issue)

Any help appreciated 🙂  Thank you

Edit: Just phoned tech support and they have gone through some tests. They seem to think upload is lower than it should be, download spot on from estimation and have upped it to the highest support, saying someone will ring me back within 48 hours.

BT Wholesale test was

53.52 down

8.71 up

ping latency 37.00

other test is

test1.png

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

Try an upload test with http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html often gives more reliable estimate of upload speed than other testers (the BT tester is particularly bad at upload speed test)  Some people find a huge difference, others hardly any at all.  At one point I had tests of around 5 on the BT tester, and 17 on the other tester and on good 'real' backup sites.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

53.0 up and 9.21 down with that link, so not much variation with either.
I'll see what they come back with. I'm happy with the down, just confused as to why the upload estimation was 15.7/15.8. I thought maybe I would get about 80% of the estimation but it's still pretty fast lol

I'd still like to be able to see what speed the modem says I am connected at, rather than these online speed tests.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

If your modem is an HG612, a little googling for 'HG612 modem' should help you see your real stats.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

Hi, that's the one I have. The firmware shown on a label underneath is older than the V100R001C01B031SP12 update that was mentioned as solving the speed issues, which is why I wanted to get access to see exactly which firmware is on it. I suppose since it is left on, the new update if not already there will possibly download to it automatically sooner or later (hopefully sooner lol)

Cheers, off to look on Google

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution
V100R001C01B031SP12 is firmware for the HomeHub, not the modem.
0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution
On the undeneath of the modem the engineer brought with him, there is a sticker and the version is very similar to what you have typed above, but it looks like an earlier release.
It is showing V100R001C01B028SP10

My Homehub when logging in is nothing like that

Hub Firmware Information
Current firmware: Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)
Last updated: Unknown
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

I jumped to wrong conclusions, as the the HomeHub 3B and the modem have remarkably similar firmware versions.

But still, I was part right, as the updated firmware V100R001C01B031SP12 was for HomeHub3B.  

It appears you have HomeHub3A.  That seems to have different problems than the 3B (read around the forum); and fewer firmware fixed to try to resolve the problems.

V100R001C01B031SP12_L_B   is the version from my HomeHub 3B.

V100R001C01B028SP10           is the version from my unlocked HG612 modem.

One thing you can do as a temporary test is to connect a PC directly to the modem (LAN1) skipping the HomeHub.  Set the PC up to do a pppoe connection: userid: bthomehub@btbroadband.com, password: anything you like.  That could narrow down where your issues are.

0 Ratings
Craig_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for replying.

The reason I have the type A is because BT no longer issue the type B hubs, or that's what the sales rep and the engineer told me today. Basically I was told type A is now the current hub.

No problems download speed anyway and it's the first day, so still a few days to go since a 10 day period is mentioned on the forum, so the upload speed may increase over time.

Thanks again 🙂

0 Ratings