cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XlordB
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Just paid my bill there by debit card I am on direct debit

Hi there I have paid my bill just there about 1:00 am my direct debit was due to come off about the 12th however it was preferable this month to pay it today so just wondering now that i paid it today will they try to take the direct debit? just wondering since i paid it through the site itself using my debit card I also clicked the let them know ive paid my bill thingy. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Just paid my bill there by debit card I am on direct debit

It looks like you're on monthly whole bill payment, in which case the debit card payment was not a good idea as the direct debit wheels are already in motion. Online Chat might be able to help - click here after 7am and choose Billing & Account from the droplist in the dark blue area near the top. If the DD can't be prevented, be prepared to wait for the overpayment to be applied to September's bill; you would be within your rights to tell your bank to refund the DD but that could lead to a mess.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
XlordB
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

the due date for payment is the 12th though thats 5 days away usually the dd payment request goes in 2-3 days before not 5 I know this since any time i check the bill it will say bill paid a few days before the money is due to come off my bank account. Upon checking the bill this was not the case so i paid it by card and it now says bill paid via debit card. 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The Direct Debit request is usually sent about 10 days before payment.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
XlordB
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

live chat stated that they wont take the dd payment.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@XlordB wrote:

live chat stated that they wont take the dd payment.

Thanks for posting that info. Can you kindly confirm here if it actually happens as it would be good to know for future reference.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
XlordB
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Sure I will confirm whether im double charged or not i dont think i will be due to the bill showing on my account as paid usually when that happens the system knows the bill is paid so to send for the dd payment would be strange.. I know its supposed to be 10 days as you say however if the bill shows as outstanding it means the bill payment for dd hasnt been requested yet .. once its requested the account bill usually shows as bill paid even before the cash is taken out of the bank. In this case however that had not happened yet so as far as im aware if you go to your account and bill section and click on the outstanding bill there is an option to pay the bill now it was just that after paying it i wasnt sure how the system works if it would immediatley stop the dd payment. However upon speaking to live support he said the bill was paid and no money would be taken out. So i said is this true for dd payment when paid early so my dd wont come off and he said for sure. 

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Hi @Webby I don't think my bank get 10 days as I dont get 10 days, my bt bill comes in on the 20th or 21st and direct debit is paid on the 28th. It's not a problem and I'm a newish customer so I might just get little notice until bt can see I'm a good payer. 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

BT reduced the notice period to 8 days  several years ago.

0 Ratings
XlordB
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

yes the notice period may be 8 days however the actual activation of requesting the payment doesnt happen until 2-3 days before the debit is due to come out so if you pay the bill before that request is made i think the system updates the bill to paid status and therefor does not go ahead with the dd request. I will confirm if this is the case after the 12th if bt dont try take dd. 

0 Ratings