cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kane82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Just switched to BT, a couple of niggles.....

Hi there,

We recently switched to BT broadband after having numerous problems with another ISP. Our activation day was June 2nd and on that day we had an engineer come to the house as there was a fault at the exchange that was causing problems with our broadband. We thought it had been fixed and everything seemed to be running smoothly.

There is still something not quite right though as our connection keeps dropping and the HomeHub (3) won't re-sync until we use the phone. We tend to just dial 1471. I have heard of people losing their connection when they use the phone but it seems the other way round for us Smiley Wink

Another thing I have noticed is that our speed seems to have dropped since the 2nd. Is this some sort of automated line management that reduces speed in an attempt to increase stability? I have tried an online speed checker and our results were quite frankly, pants. Our download speed was 128kb/sec. and the upload was around 300kb/sec. This does not tie in very well with our hubs status.

Here are our stats:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:52:48
Downstream:4.688 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.6 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):20.5 dB / 10.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):5548 / 2
CRC Events (Down/Up):12 / 3
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):282 / 2
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):330 / 120

Can these faults be attributed to the line "settling" and that I should expect them to have gone in a week or so?

Any info/assistance would be muchly appreciated.

Kane Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Just switched to BT, a couple of niggles.....

welcome to the forum

there is a 10 day training period after activation and the hub will reset (often) as it tries to find the best stable connection for your line  with your attenuation I expect you to have an 8mb connection.  just stay connected.

this link may help with the phone /router problem  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/hubtrouble.html#type9

can you run btspeedtester and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kane82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi Jolly,

Thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

I just ran the BT speed test and the results are:

Download speedachieved
during the test was - 94 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable
range of speeds is 50-250
Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate
:8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for
your line is - 135 Kbps

Is our profile so low because of the hub trying to find the best stable connection as you described? If so, I presume it will re-sync at a higher speed in a few days or so?

Kane Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

your profile is rock bottom at 135 whereas it should be 7150. just hang in there and stay connected and it should fix itself durung your training period

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kane82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I hope so Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info Reverend!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

@Kane82 wrote:

I hope so Smiley Happy

not everyone will get that  lol

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 17

@imjolly wrote:

@Kane82 wrote:

I hope so Smiley Happy

Get what?..... 😄

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

0 Ratings
Kane82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Hello again,

As you predicted Rev. Jolly, our speed did increase upto around the 7Mb markSmiley Happy

However, we have still been experiencing numerous random disconnections. So much so that our profile has once again plummeted to 135kbSmiley Sad

I have checked out the website that you recommended and I have a feeling that our "bell-wire" may be causing our disconnects. We live in an old house with an old master socket without the test port unfortunately. Am I right in thinking that it is ok to remove the bell wire myself or will this be an illegal move on my part??

Kind regards,

Kane Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

If you do remove the bellwire just be carefull not to touch the wires in terminals 2 & 5

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

@imjolly wrote:

@Kane82 wrote:

I hope so Smiley Happy

Some of us get it Revd. Jolly tee hee Smiley Very Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings