Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prushby
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

JustCloud, BT Net Protect (Macafee) and the TROJAN

Hi,

This is my first post, I have Infinity 1 and took advantage of the free MacaFee BT protect nearly a year ago.

I've been using a cloud storage supplier called JustCloud for about 5 years.  I have around 175Gb of photo's / vidoes stored and I pay a yearly subscription for this unlimited service.  It suits my needs as there are various apps for mobile devices, I have an ipad and two Iphones using the service as well as my desktop PC.

A couple of days ago, the BT Net Protect flagged that it had found a trojan on my system, and it had removed it.. Good i thought.  then a day later I wanted to back up some photo's to JustCloud as I have been doing from my desktop for the past 5 years.. The JustCloud program had gone.  I then attempted to download it again but BT Net Protect immediately quaranteens the '.exe' and I am unable to install.

Below is the response from the JustCloud ticket I raised.

'Hi Paul,

Thank you for your email

We are sorry for the difficulties you have been experiencing due to McAfee flagging the Just Cloud application and preventing backups to run normally.

I fully understand it is disconcerting to see Just Cloud be classed as a threat to your computer, however we want to make it clear that the antivirus programs are not blocking us due to the app being deemed as malicious or a virus, they are classing Just Cloud as a Potentially Unwanted Program. This means some users have reported they don’t remember installing Just Cloud or don’t know how it ended up on their computer.

We are in communication with McAfee to try and resolve this situation, but as it stands they are intentionally blocking Just Cloud. I apologize for any inconvenience caused but hope this covers the situation clearly.

We advise you to contact McAfee Support team to seek their assistance with adding the application files to the Exclusions list of McAfee. When you add Just Cloud to the exception list McAfee says it can't due to Just Cloud being a 'System File', this is a bug with their application that they have acknowledged but are yet to provide a fix for.

Alternatively, we recommend Avira antivirus instead of McAfee, it is completely free and really quite good and fair for that reason. http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Frank Baker
Tier 1 Technical Support
JustCloud
http://www.justcloud.com'

Could someone please help me understand what my options are, as it stands maybe I should remove BT Net Protect and use another servoce to keep my PC safe.  Not sure what to do???

Thanks,

Paul.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: JustCloud, BT Net Protect (Macafee) and the TROJAN

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

As I do not use BTNetprotect for the above reasons, I am not sure if you can do this but you can on most other antivirus so it may be possible on BTNetprotect. You should be able to go into the quarantine section and mark JustCloud to be ignored and re-install it. 

0 Ratings
prushby
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: JustCloud, BT Net Protect (Macafee) and the TROJAN

Thanks for the reply, I will look into another anti virus solution.

0 Ratings