Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Keep losing Internet Channels

Go to solution

My YouView box has been reasonably reliable since it was installed a few months back.

I watched the Rugby on Frday and Saturday without any issues, and also recorded the hawking Science program Saturday evening.

However, yesterday I turned on to watch BT Sport, and found that none of the extra Internet channels worked.

Error message IPC6002 was displayed.

It took me about 20 minutes to get them back, including completely powerig down the box, disconnecting from the HomeHub, brining it up, and then resetting the network settings.

I was then able to watch the rugby.

Today, I turned the box on again, and have exactly the same issue.

And, it seems it "broke" between 5pm (end of Rugby) and 7pm (start of recording Cosmos) and failed to record the program.

What has changed? Bad software update? I'm not having any other issues with WiFi, Ethernet, or Interet in general.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Keep losing Internet Channels

Go to solution

So I'm wondering if it is this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-the-Box/Major-Service-Outage-Stopping-access-to-BT-Sports/td...

However, when I try to do a Software Update, I get "Sorry, an error occurred while trying to update your software. Please try again later. Downloading failed"

And when I said it correctly recorded Hawking on Saturday, it appears in the list as a completed recording, when I try to play it back it says "Recording currently not available. IPC6042".

Some info:

Model: DTRT2100

Variant: 84B08500

SW Version: 17.3.0 updated 14 May

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Curiouser and curiouser.

I eventually got a message displayed to call the helpline, which I duly did.

I was asked to do the following:

- move the YouView box connection to the Gigabit port on the Home Hub "because it works better that way"

- power off the Home Hub

- - as soon as I did this, the recording I was tring to play started to playback!

- power on Home Hub

- power off and on the YouView

After all this, the channels were back, and the recording would still play.

So apart from changing ports on the back of the Home Hub, this is what I did yesterday to recover from the same issue, so I'm not convinced it won't just happen again tomorrow. The Help Desk guy is going to call me tomorrow to check all is well.

So this bit about the gigabit port, is that necessary? There is a 100T hub between Home Hub and YouView so I won't ge getting Gigabit throughput. Should I run a dedicated cable? Is the YouView box a gigabit device? I don't recall anything in the setup instructions concerning port use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Using the Gig-E port on the hub will have no bearing whatsoever on the BB speed delivered to the youview box. Gig-E is 1000Mb/s transfer rate, all the other standard LAN ports on the hub are 100Mb/s. Even if you actually have a BB connection which is faster than 100Mb/s, I sincerely doubt (don't know for sure) the LAN port on the Youview box is Gig-E anyway. As long as the box has an internet connection of above 8Mb/s then the box should be able to stream any IP channel without issue, to record a second IP channel at the same time you would need a minimum of 16Mb/s.

Why BT say you need to use the Gig-E port is anyones guess.

I would say that it was the reboot of the youview box that restored the channels, nothing to do with changing the LAN port.

I would, however, run a dedicated ethernet cable from the youview box to the hub, not because of throughput speed, but because the 100T hub you are using (I assume as an ethernet switch) may not be compatible with the protacols that BT use to stream their multicast channels, and may be causing you some issue's. Not saying for sure that it it the cause, but it is another variable you can eliminate in your trouble shooting.

Highlighted
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Both errors you have seen, IPC6002 & IPC6042, are youview errors which mean the STB cannot reach the BT Servers. I would guess that the homehub reboot would have been the fix here.

Steve

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks both.

The problem hasn't occurred again since the last restart, but I have installed a dedicated ethernet cable to the GigE port anyway.

0 Ratings