cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rookie
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Kicked off network at night and cant reconnect till morning!?

Okay so almost every night (usually around midnight but sometimes earlier) at least one of our computers gets kicked off the network even though the all the lights on the hub are on and I can see its still active on the computer. Even my friend's xbox get kicked off. When I try to reconnect the computers it says windows was unable to connect, and troubleshooting suggests I'm not in range or that i should checked my adapter's settings. I checked and everything seemed fine. Also ran antivirus and whatnot, but found nothing.

Im not a very computer smart person so I really dont know what's wrong. Im posting it here mainly because I already have an account, Bt is my internet provider and I have a homehub, and a friend said Bt could be kicking me off  (but he has a grudge against bt after having an argument with techsupport on the phone, and blames most computer problems on them).

Please help, or if this is the wrong forums point me elsewhere. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Kicked off network at night and cant reconnect till morning!?

It is very unlikely that BT is kicking you off.

When it happens do you have other things still connected?

Are you getting kicked off a wireless or wired connection?

What version of the hub are you using - it will tell you at the bottom of the hub home page - type 192.168.1.254 into your web browser.
0 Ratings
Rookie
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I only really check my computers when i get kicked but sometimes one will still be connected.
I get kicked off a wireless connection, I havent tried wired because i dont believe i have the cable.
And would this be what you meant by version of hub? "Software version: 6.2.6.H "

Thanks for the reply.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

if you are having wireless problems then try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rookie
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the program and am running it. I see my network and openzone both on channel 11. How do i go about changing the channel?

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

You will see an openzoen and fon on the same channel as yours as these are being broadcast from your router. You are looking for other hubs on the same channel.

To change the channel - click on A-Z on top right of a hub page
Click on change wireless channel - you might have to enter your hub password at this point
At the bottom of the page change the channel to a free on away from others and then click apply - most devices will probably experience a loss of connection until they pick up the new channel.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

if that is all you see on your channel then you don't have a problem.

to chnage you need to enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser then after entering password go to wireless and the change auto to manual and also select a free channel. then save and exit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rookie
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Oh okay thanks. I'll see if it makes a difference (will be waiting till midnight to see) and if not I might go out and get a cable to see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the help.
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Have you only just got BT broadband? If you have then your hub may still be in its 10 day training mode and is re syncing to get a stable connection.
0 Ratings
Rookie
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Sorry I took so long to reply, been busy.

I changed the channel, still getting kicked off at night. And we've had bt broadband for over a year now I think so...

Also I should probably mention we do have other issues that I guess are similar.

-If downloading a large file the computer doing so gets kicked off the network and usually cant re-connect for half a day. (very annoying)

-I don't think the speeds are what they should be but we live in the countryside(ish) and its nowhere near unbearable.

-When me or my sister load up the game team fortress2 the hub resets.(haven't tried in the last few weeks)

-Sometimes at night after being kicked I see a CT homehub as well as my BT homehub and openzone on the connection list.

-Router resets once or so a week.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the bother.

0 Ratings