I have a Kindle Fire (5th Generation) with Netflix installed on it. I also have a BT Home Hub 5 to which my Kindle is wirelessly connected. I used to be able to connect to Netflix without problem until recently when I started getting a `Please make sure that your device has network connectivity and the Date and Time settings are accurate (-3)` error.
I contacted Netflix and, after troubleshooting solutions, we found the error didn't occur when connecting via a different network. This pointed to a problem with the Home Hub. Power cycling the Home Hub seemed to fix the problem temporarily, but the problem has reoccurred. I am able to connect to Netflix without problem on other devices.
Does anyone know how I can fix the problem permanently?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. Once you have done that make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.
See link how to do that.
Unfortunately that didn't fix the error. I even uninstalled the app and turned off the device before resetting the Home Hub but, after reinstalling the app, I got the same error.
Have you seperated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless bands? I have had to do this with the Homehub 4 and now the Homehub 6/Smarthub for improved connectivity for the Firestick.
Pound to a penny this is a DNS problem.
Case in point, it works when you try it on another wireless router/ISP.
I have this exact problem too. I circumnavigate it by either:
Firing up my VPN app on the Fire
Changing my router's DNS server.
Personally, I think the problem lies with the Fire Tablet and not BT. I think the Fire Tablet tries to use DNS servers outside of the BT given ones which causes the problem.
So after writing that last night, I got to the bottom of, and 'fixed' the problem myself.
If anyone finds they have this problem, it is because in your BT account settings, you have either 'BT Parental Controls' and/or 'BT Web Protect' set. If you switch these off and wait an hour or so, I bet you'll find Netflix starts working on your Kindle Fire.
Can't really explain why exactly. But I suspect it's something to do with either the Kindle Fire and/or Netflix trying to use a DNS server that is NOT a BT DNS server. It seems the parental controls or the web protect settings kick in and intercept non-BT DNS requests and kill them. I guess the service(s) is only doing it's job but it's a little annoying when you're trying to watch something 🙂
I guess the problem for some of you might be 'but I WANT parental controls and web protect switched on!'. If that's the case, all I can suggest is a VPN subscription and fire up the VPN every time you go to launch Netflix.
Hope this helps someone out there anyway!
Just checked my BT account and I have BT Parental Controls switched off, but BT Web Protect switched on. I've switched both off now so will wait a while and see what happens. I'll report back later.