cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 9

Kindle Fire

Anyone tried one of these?

i am tempted by the ads but can't see what it does that my iPad doesn't - still tempted!!!

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 9

Re: Kindle Fire

I've been thinking about getting a Kindle Fire as a Xmas present for a family member, but I’m a bit unsure. It seems to have some good features and is also (relatively) reasonably priced compared to some of the other tablets out there.

The online reviews I've seen so far seem to be mostly positive, but if anyone has tried it out I'd also be interested in your opinion.

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
carlj64
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Fire or Fire HD?

Looked to a couple of 7in choices recently and once the price for the ipad announced, that was quickly discarded for a number of reasons. Basically it was the Fire HD or Nexus 7. The Fire is fine if all your media is from Amazon. Otherwise the Nexus 7 has access to the full Google Play store, including Kindle app, Kobo and Books. A breeze to use, priced to sell and as a Google premium device, is regularly updated....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Following carlj64's point; for users who currently have an android phone they will probably find the KF a bit limited and frustrating, as it wont have the full andoid build that they are used to seeing on their phones.

The Nexus range[various screen sized] look very tempting. 

For anyone currently thinking about buying an online subscription to "The T***s" newspaper, the paper will sell you a Nexus 7 for £50.Smiley Surprised

Unfortunately fo me, I already have a subscription so dont qualify for the offer. Smiley Sad

The BT shop has been e-mailing some other good deals on tablets recently as well. Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
carlj64
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Just to add another contender. Android is open source, but like Amazon, some manufacturers prefer to shell it, and limit usability. If Google Play isn't important, but a screen that is absolutely gorgeous is, Barnes and Noble Nook HD. Well built and unlike the others in contention, has a micro sd slot!

Carl

0 Ratings
r1sean
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I just set up my daughter's Kindle Fire HD (for Xmas) it was so simple and the screen is beautiful downloaded a few apps for her and connected it to her twitter and FB account. I also set up a amazon account. You get 5Gb of icloud which should be plenty.

I must also say it was easier to set up then the ipad for my other daughter foolishly I put in her date of birth and of course she wasn't old enough to have an ipad so had to use my apple account, after some apple support I re-registered it in her name.

R1Sean
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 9

I have a Nexus 7 and I must say it is excellent.

I'm having a hard time making my mind up, the person I would be buying the Kindle Fire for has expressed interest in getting one but I think it's just because they saw an ad for it rather than because of any specific tech preference.

Ah well, it's not like Christmas is around the corner or anything 😉

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

I fancy one for reading but also for the size - holding the iPad can be problematic when watching films - if I ever win the lottery I will buy something in between the iPad and phone for size I think.

my wife tried out the Kindle Fire in Waterstones and thought it was sluggish and unresponsive compared to the iPad 

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
carlj64
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Stuart,

The Nexus 7 doesn't have any problems with responsiveness, other than waking up from sleep mode. Even with my Mr Magoo eyesight, kindle/kobo/play and Nook apps font is clear and crisp. Content is certainly starting to make a difference with Google Play now offering movies, music and magazines alongside apps.

Carl

0 Ratings