cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

LACK OF HELP FROM BT

Does anyone else share my frustration with BT for their lack of help over setting up their Home Hub 5 (HH5)?

I have just taken out an Infinity contract and had my new HH5 installed.

I have some fairly basic requirements for setting up my home network.

I couldn't undertake the set-up myself based on the (scant) information provided with the HH5.

I couldn't get any meaningful help from BT by chat or by phone. Mostly they wanted to tell me that this was not their problem but mine.

I couldn't get a manual from them - because apparently there isn't one

I can't seem to find the answer on this forum (which is fine: why should a general member of the public know more about the HH5 than BT who supply it?)

Essentially, I have gone from having a slow internet connection with an efficient in-house set up to having a fast internet connection with such an inefficient in-house set-up that I can't take advantage of the extra line speed.

Anyone else got anything similar to report?

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: LACK OF HELP FROM BT

It would help others help you if you actually said what problems you were encountering

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Sorry - yes, I agree. I have already raised the problems in their appropriate place and been advised that if I wanted to raise a 'new' topic (general dissatisfaction with BT's performance to date), I needed to do it under a new thread.This is the new thread.

I don't know how to link to the other issues (not good with forum stuff - learning), but I have a problem giving a printer an internal static IP address (not DHCP) and I wanted a manual.

The general response for the printer problem from BT was that it's not their problem: from the forum is pretty mixed but the overriding view on this and similar issues seems to be that you are better off without a Home Hub 5 (a separate modem and router is better and a third party VDSL router would be better still.

Apparently there is no 'proper' manual for the HH5. BT steer you towards the forum on this topic. There lots of very nice people on the forum, but why should they be responsible for solving problems created by BT?

If you would like to help solve the printer problem, I would be grateful. But I don't have the knowledge to point you to the page(s).

Thanks for your interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

this was done by CL Keith and may help http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/printers.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

"BT steer you towards the forum on this topic. There lots of very nice people on the forum, but why should they be responsible for solving problems created by BT?"

maybe this explains the function of the forum 

"Join the conversation in our Customer Support Community

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services."

I also posted  a similar link on the other thread you had posted on 

also setting up ancillary items to the hub/router  is not the responsibility of any ISP this is why the help line could not assist you as there are just to many possible combinations of device 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Thank you again john46.

I am very grateful for the help that people are trying to give me. (not so grateful for the comments of others - not you) that simply imply the problems I am experiencing are my fault or the fault of my devices when my tests suggest otherwise.

I find it really kind that people with no afiliation to BT are willing to give up their time to help me (and others).

However, I still can't believe that it is entirely responsible and ethical for a large organisation like BT to provide me with some equipment with no manual and with no technical help and then when it doesn't work to say 'computer says no', and then to suggest that I would get better help by looking on the forum.

I've checked out your link on printers and almost the first thing it says is that to prevent them becoming 'lost' the first thing you should do is to give them a static address. To do this, I need to 'see' the printer first. Even though the printer will initially print from my PCs whilst still invisible on the network, it eventually gets lost and the only way to solve it getting lost is to re-start the router.

If it is all my fault and it is not possible to use the HH5 as my router (if that is the correct term for the bit that runs the home network), my next course of action will be to ask BT to supply one of their original VDSL modems and to connect my original DrayTek router to that - I know the home network worked fine with that. Unfortunately, when I asked BT if this is possible, they said that if I didn't ask for a separate modem when I placed the order I am not able to change to one now.

So: for whatever reason (whoever's 'fault' it is), I have a HH5-based home network that doesn't work. I would like to fix it. But the 'Catch 22' is that no one in BT can help sort the HH5-based home network and it 'isn't their problem anyway', no one on the forum has been able to help yet, and BT will not provide an alternative set of equipment to allow me to access Infinity and still maintain my home network in a manner that used to work perfectly before I contracted to BT.

Where do I go now?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to three working days for them to re-contact you.

EDIT: I am adding this linkt to your other post to make it easier to follow them.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/HOME-HUB-5-SETTING-STATIC-LAN-IP-ADDRESS-FOR-PRI...

Highlighted
Message 8 of 36

Hi HermesMercury,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your home network. BT Tech Experts will be able to help. If you click Here you will find some more information about the Tech Experts service.

Thanks

PaddyB

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Paddy

Thank you for this link.

I regret to say that I started off at the very beginning of my problem by talking to your Tech Team - who actually wanted £10 per month before they would start even discussing the problem.

I explained the issue to them (as above) and the man on the phone plainly didn't believe me. He was convinced that it wasn't possible for the printer to be able to print but not to be visible. He dialled in to my PC and the HH5 and found that I was telling the truth! He also dialled up the address that I told him I had set the printer on (static setting from old network, but within the normal range of the HH5 settings). He successfully dialled in to the printer settings page on that address, confirming to himself that the printer was indeed on the network even if invisible on the device list.

He could offer no solution - I don't think he was suggesting it was a problem with my printer. This is sort of one of the reasons I ended up on the forum.

I don't really want to pay £10 just to be told there isn't a solution. How can we be sure this isn't going to happen?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 36

0 Ratings