cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kazuyadog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

LG Television is Slowing Broadband Speed.

Go to solution

Hello

Started using a 50" LG Smart TV on Sat just gone (not using its wireless function),since i have been using it every time i go to use the internet on my desktop pc with HH4 upstairs,i get very very slow connection speeds,no more than 1 or 2 mbps at best sometimes less.It has had me scratching my head all weekend as it was only today that i put 2+2 together to work out that it was the TV that is causing the problem,thought it was a number of other things.

Anyway today i have narrowed it down to this,if the TV is on i get poor internet speeds,if the TV is put in standby or switched off i get very good internet speeds like 12mbps (standard broadband).

My HH4 is upstairs with my pc,the HH4 is connected by a direct wire from the main bt socket in the hallway,the Sky box is under the TV in the living room and is connected by a plug in extension cable to the main bt socket.

Having read a few threads on here,one of the first tests i did,was unplugging the Sky box phone extension lead,this made no difference to my BB speed while the TV was switched on,so i assume its not the Sky phone extension that is causing the problem.

Are these BT HH4 more suseptable to interference than other modem/routers ?

So i am wondering how i can cure the TV affecting the HH4 upstairs.

Any ideas please.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: LG Television is Slowing Broadband Speed.

Go to solution

Sorry can you clarify the connections. The PCs is connected to the hub by Ethernet cable?  If you are not using the TV wifi then you need to connect it either to a cable to the hub or use power line adapters. How does the sky box connect for catch up or do you not use catch up

is Sky phone line connected to a filter into the main socket or is main socket a SSFP - filter built in?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Kazuyadog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hello

My desktop pc is upstairs as is the HH4,the connection is ethernet cable.

I can connect the TV to the HH4 via wifi its just the basic connectioni did this on Sunday for a short time then disconected it while i have been investigating the problem.

Is it important that the wifi should be connected all the time either with a cable or powerline adaptors ?

I dont use Sky box for catchup,dont subscribe.

The Sky phone line to the main socket and all the other phones in the house have adsl filters connected.

Cheers for your help and advice.

Mick

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

so sky box is connected to the filter in master socket as is the hub?  TV is either wifi or connected by Ethernet cable to the hub or you use powerline adapters?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Kazuyadog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hello

I have an extension wire connected in at the rear of the master socket,this runs upstairs to a normal phone socket,this socket has the HH4 and a phone connected to it,with adsl filter.

I have an extension cable plugged into the main socket and this runs into the living room,where i have a phone and Sky box connected with a adsl filter.

Does the TV wifi have to be connected to the HH4 all the time or can it be left disconnected ?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If tv same as mine the wifi is only connected when TV is switched on - not when in standby

do you have a NTE5 master socket?  The extension should be wired to the back of the bottom detachable faceplate not direct yo the main BT incoming connections on A&B

Kazuyadog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Just had a look,it is a NTE5,the extension wire is connected to the detachable faceplate 4 wires on 2,3,4,5.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

You only need to connect 2&5 and the bellwire on terminal 3 can cause interference and can be removed. 

bellwire removal

Kazuyadog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Ok taken wires out of 3 and 4.

What is next on the list.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

So now you have the extension connected to 2&5 and runs upstairs and hub is connected with a filter and is working ok?

and extension cable connects to faceplate socket and then there is a filter to which your sky box and phone are connected. TV is connected wireless

that should work