Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andriuu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

LINKSYS MWP600N - slow connection on INFINITY

Hi,

I have big problem. My landlord took BT INFINITY in our property (I am renting here a room) around 3 months ago (November 2011) and on beginning I had all the time connection speed around 35-38 MBPS using LINKSYS MWP600N. So I didn't check my speed after few days. But after my holiday when I come back to UK I saw that I had slower connection speed... I did test on speedtest.net and it was 17-25 MBPS. I disconnect few times modem, router - nothing. I changed slot for my PCI-Ex WIFI card, still nothing. I thought maybe something wrong with OS. So I restore my default setting. Still the same effect.

I tried on different card - D-LINK DWA-140 and sometimes speed was faster than on my LINSYS.. ?!

I checked right now and D-LINK had real download speed 3,40MB and LINSYS 2,80MB. But I used this card 3 months without any problem.

I can tell that 2 days ago I changed LINKSYS for new one, because I thought that is damaged ??

Please tell me what else I can do ?!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: LINKSYS MWP600N - slow connection on INFINITY

How many people are sharing the wireless connection from the home hub 3?

0 Ratings
Andriuu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Normally 5 user's, but they just watching websites and youtube. Right now I checked router and just I am connected, below you can see my stats :

untitled.jpg

Normal download speed about 2,5 MB - 3 MB max (maybe one time in entire january)... Before 3,9 MB

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

That looks fine at the moment, but bear in mind that the wireless connection speed will drop as more users connect, even though they may not be actually downloading anything.

I expect that most users are connecting with wireless "g" devices, so you only have 54Mb available at the physical connection level, actual throughput will be a lot less than that, especially with any interference that may be about.

The home hub 3 does not cope very well with lots of connections

Each user is probaby getting 5Mb or less when everyone is connected.

Powerline adapters to distribute the broadband data to each room would be more efficient, and faster than wireless.

0 Ratings
Andriuu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Yeah, but on november, december even if someone was connected I had result :

untitled1.jpg

I checked right now at 5:20 AM and look :

untitled.jpg

My girlfriend laptop HP (she buyed it about 1 year ago) had yesterday all the time 30-33 MBPS, even if my PC was connected to broadband...

So something is wrong...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

See Network connections

There is an explanation there.

You are using the wrong speedtester, this is the only one you should use BT Speedtester

Speeds will vary depending on how busy the Internet is.

Yours speed of 17Mbs is very good for a wireless connection.

Your girlfriend`s laptop probably has a faster wireless card (Wireless "n"), as it is fairly recent.

0 Ratings
machasm
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Just because you had a good connection in the past doesn't mean you will always have a good connection when using WiFi.

The nature of the beast is that it is influenced greatly by a large number of factors.

Please turn the Wifi on the router off, connect to your hub directly using a wire (preferably to the Gigabit port) and try the speed test again.

I am sure that it will be much more favourable.

Then try turning the WiFi back on and try again. You may find that the speed then varies depending on the demand of the other housemates.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the speed test should only be carried out on a wired connection
0 Ratings
Andriuu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

@ Keith_Beddoe I checked Network connections and I didn't saw any faulty or issue. About BT SPEEDTESTER yeah I checked but is not stable (it shows me from 0.50 - 28 mbps). About her laptop, he got worst card than mine. My card is as well i "N" technology.

@ machasm its a little bit difficult to connect PC with wired option, my room is on 2nd floor, and router and modem is nearby front doors on ground floor ;/ That's why is availible one option wireless.

@ john46 yeah I agree with you. This BT_TESTER should be started on wired connection

What else I could do ?! I have no idea...     

0 Ratings
machasm
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

your other option is to use powerline adaptors.

This should alleviate the problem.

0 Ratings