Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Lack of bandwidth - Infinity not living up to promises

Go to solution

Hi

Watching SKY Sports on Android Tablet and tried to stick on the Olympic Golf on PC.

Both are working wirelessly within the house. The tablet has continuous streaming pictures to the football - no problems. The BBC Golf feed stuttered and eventually stopped, citing lack of bandwidth.

Now I thought Infinity was supposed to support multiple streaming devices (ha ha). Current connection details, with the tablet still running are:

Download speed: 7.61

Upload speed: 6.05

Ping Latency: 41.00

Running Further diagnostic

The browser esssion timed out - nice one (probably due to slow connection!)

Tried again, result:

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Ha ha - the results weren't shown above.

I'll try again but looks like Infinity isn't really living up to its promises (surprise, surprise)!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lack of bandwidth - Infinity not living up to promises

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi - thanks for the replay. Details are:

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Other check worked this time:

BT 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Was that rest done with a wired or wireless connection?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Both the PC and Tablet connect wirelessly, as was the test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
You need to run the test with a wired connection to rule out wireless as being the problem first and foremost.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Just by way of update, I recently met an ex-BT Engineer through a work query.

We discussed my poor Wi Fi experience and he basically advised that (BT) WiFi was never really intended to operate throughout houses / properties etc and really only works well on direct line of site. Any "angles" will affect the signal, deteriorating as you go along.

He did advise that, in order to obtain decent connection speeds upstairs, I convert to "Ethernet over power".

I have now purchased TP-Link AV500 nano units, plugged them in and achieve over 35mbs - that already 5x faster than the wireless connection.

I suppose it all goes back to my original statement - wireless is being sold as a fits all solution when it obviously isn't.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@aliballibee wrote:

I suppose it all goes back to my original statement - wireless is being sold as a fits all solution when it obviously isn't.

and that is why no ISP will guarantee speed over wireless conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings