Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ignia
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Lag spikes while gaming.

Hi,

I had BT Infinity installed today and firstly I'd like to say that the overall service was and is very good and the download and upload speeds are beyond my fondest hopes. I was initially very happy with the connection when I was connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. However, when I moved upstairs to try out the wireless connection, I found that after about half an hour, I was experiencing major lag spikes very frequently. I ran tests on speedtest.net and pingtest.net, and found that the packet loss had increased from 0% to 14%, and jitter from 1ms to 32ms. I went back to the Ethernet cable and the connection was fine again. I've looked around the forum but haven't found any solutions. I am using the HH3, I was playing left 4 dead 2 and world of warcraft (not at the same time Smiley Wink ), there were 3 other devices connected at the time but only browsing and the signal strength was excellent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
evohicks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lag spikes while gaming.

A mate of mine always had lag spike issues when online gaming because he was connected via wifi. As soon as he connected with the Ethernet cable all was well, I have always thought gaming should be done via cable and not wifi. I'm sure some wifi gamers will be here to tell you different though 😛
Ignia
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

bump.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

I agree with evohicks comments a wired connection for gaming is always the best option as wireless is subject to interference and that causing a lot of packets being resent