Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Landline Phone Ring Changed

Go to solution

Dear All

For the last few days the ring tone on my landline phone has changed to a short, sharp sound.

I can make outgoing calls with no problem and have a normal dial tone and if I pick up the receiver I can talk to whoever is calling me.

The phones are set up as follows. Main box in hall has internet connection into the front and I have two phones fitted to extension boxes in kitchen and bedroom.

I have done the following tests:

1. Took off the front of the main phone box in hall and plugged each of the phones into the test socket behind it and then called home on the mobile and they both ring normally so I assume it isn't a BT problem.
  2. Went out and bought a new ADSL filter, as I have these fitted to both phones and thought one may have developed a fault, then tried the new filter on both but it didn't make any difference.
  3. Unplugged both phones and internet and added everything back one at a time. Both sockets worked but now had a combination of normal and the short, sharp rings. When I plugged internet back in they both went to just the short, sharp sound again. It’s almost like it is trying to ring normally but can’t! Internet works fine.

The phones and internet have been set up like this for years so nothing has been changed recently.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Debs

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Landline Phone Ring Changed

Go to solution

Does you phone ring correctly with the broadband router disconnected or switched off ?, but the landline ringing affected when the broadband router connected and in sync ?..if it is then , as you seemed to have ruled out the B/B filters, it could be the router itself , or the broadband equipment in the exchange that has a fault,

when the exchange sends out ringing current (to make your phone 'ring' when you get an incoming call) the ringing current goes in and out of your ISP's equipment before going down the 'line' to your phone, you could have a problem on your broadband that doesn't affect your broadband service but does interfere with the telephony, if you are within the 1st year of broadband you could ask for a new router, if it makes no difference, then you have at least eliminated the router as the problem,  if no longer within that period be careful accepting a new router as it may re contract you for a new minimum term (providing they offer you one free of charge) unless you are happy to be recontracted of course

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I have seen this issue before. Normally a problem when the ring wire going to an extension socket is in contact with one wire of

the telephone line.

You maybe able to solvevit by pulling off the wire/wires on terminal 3 that is connected on to the rear of the removable front plate that plugs into the main telephone socket.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you for your replies. Sorry I have not written sooner but yesteday I had no line at all!!!

I phoned BT and an enginneer came out. Seems the problem was two external faults and they are now cleared.

Everything is working fine and both phones ring normally again. I am just a bit puzzled as to why, when fitted to the test socket, both phones rang normally when it was external problems. Oh well!!!! 

Thanks again everyone.

Debs  

0 Ratings