cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tnewbs
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Landline - call doesn't connect to a specific number

I'm having problems calling my parents landline from my own landline (this is the only number I'm having issues with). It rings once and then disconnects. They have checked their phone and as far as I know haven't blocked my number (!)

I have a BT 8500 but their number is on my allowed list (but wouldn't have thought this matters anyway as i'm dialling out). 

It's probably something simple but any ideas?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Landline - call doesn't connect to a specific number

can you try calling from another number or your mobile? more than likely a fault on their line.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
tnewbs
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

It works when I call from my mobile (and from my work phone)! My parent's line has been checked and it's fine?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Have you got an ordinary wired phone that you can try in your phone socket?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Are your parents also BT customers ?, do they live in another exchange area to yourself  ?, if the answer to both is yes, then the problem may not be with your line or equipment, or their line or equipment but a 'circuit' between the two exchanges,

if you report your line or your parents report their line faulty , all that will happen is the service provider (BT) will test the lines but if this isn't where the problem is, the lines will obviously test OK , and you will get the usual threat of it's it's your equipment it's a £100+ bill, they cannot test the links between exchanges, that needs the exchange engineering staff,

if the problem  is something like I've suggested then it wouldn't be affecting just you, but anyone on a number similar to yours calling a number similar to your parents ,

if you do report it stress that it must be a problem within the exchange and that you don't need an appointment or a visit to your home to resolve this , but the exchange engineers to look at the network between you and your parents exchanges

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@iniltous wrote:

Are your parents also BT customers ?, do they live in another exchange area to yourself  ?, if the answer to both is yes, then the problem may not be with your line or equipment, or their line or equipment but a 'circuit' between the two exchanges,

if the problem  is something like I've suggested then it wouldn't be affecting just you, but anyone on a number similar to yours calling a number similar to your parents ,

If it was a circuit issue, then it could actually affect any number dialling them which routes the same way - it doesn't have to be similar numbers at either end, or BT numbers.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

My point still is valid , all I was trying to discount is other providers like Sky or TT that may have a LLU presence in that exchange who would route their calls in an entirely different way, although there is a  chance that a similar number may be ported, it's still entirely possible that the problem is a network problem and not specific the the OP or the OP's parents line or equipment, 

0 Ratings