cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Laptop connection away from home ?

I hope this has not been covered, i have searched but don't seem to be able to find what i am looking for.....

I have to travel as part of my work load and have to stay at one point away from home for a few months, I would like to keep contact with home via my laptop via the internet, there seems to be no on site internet where i will be staying, (although it has been suggested using a dongle)....So as a BT broadband customer on option 3, am i able to get wifi connection for my laptop via a hotspot ?.

From where i am staying to the nearest hotspot which is 1.3 miles away using "btopenzone" , Am i able to connect ?. or is there an easier way to get internet connection.

Any advise please.

Thanks...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Laptop connection away from home ?

Not if its 1.3 miles away !

You need to be within a few hundred yards to get a connection.

A 3G mobile dongle as a standby, is a much better option. But check the different operators in the area that you are going, to see if there is 3G coverage.

I have Zoom portable 3G - Wifi unit, and have two dongles which plug in. One is for BT Mobile Broadband, and the other is for "Three" mobile.

Three seems to have a better coverage, and have a more flexible tariff, but the choice is yours.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

if you have a smartphone you can always tether that to your laptop provided your mobile package allows tethering and you have unlimited data

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply Keith.

It was mentioned to me over the phone from the work place that a dongle is what others have used..

The Dongle for BT Mobile Broadband you mention, is there costs for running this, or can it be part of the BT package?. I am just not converse with Dongles.

I see  that vodaphone do a pay as you go dongle...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Just in case you find a private BT WiFi hotspot make sure you're opted in. If you joined in the last few years that would be automatic but it's as well to check before you go.

I often manage to find free wifi in the UK, either BT (Starbucks) or The Cloud (Wetherspoons (for preference!), Little Chef). Failing that my Vodafone dongle with no time limit (no longer available, alas) usually does the trick.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

PS. I've just discovered that the hotel I'm staying at in Dorset next week has free wifi. In my experience that's rare in reasonably-priced UK hotels, though it's pretty much the rule overseas. Perhaps things are on the move! Smiley Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings