cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Laptop loses connection to hub most days.

At some stage during each day, my laptop will drop its connection to our home hub, and then this will be restored after about 5 or 10 minutes. We have the BT Home Hub 2, and this is situated upstairs. I normally encounter problems when I am downstairs using my laptop.

Whenever my laptop loses its connection, all the lights are on normally on the hub, so I started thinking it may be some interference causing the problem. However, my dad recently brought a laptop and when my laptop dropped its connection yesterday, my dad's laptop didn't, even though he was in the same room as me!

Sometimes if I physically take my laptop upstairs to where the hub is, the connection gets restored, but other times I can be right by the hub with my laptop and the connection doesn't restore.

If I go through the wireless connection diagnostics process when my laptop has lost its connection, it sometimes identifies and fixes a problem with the network adapter (my laptop has an Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter). 

Could my laptop be causing the problem, or might it be due to the distance between the hub and my laptop? Would upgrading to the latest BT Home Hub help?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop loses connection to hub most days.

welcome to the forum

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop loses connection to hub most days.

I have exactly the same problem but my laptop is allways in the same room as my home hub 2. the connection just drops and I have to wait for it to reconect. all the lights on the homeuhb stay the same but i do think once the wireless light went off and back on. I have downloaded Inssider and no other networks are on or near the 11 channel. also the other routors are quite a bit away i can only pick one of them up on my laptop which has 1 bar.

my problem only happens about 2 or 3 times a week.

what else could be the problem?

Thanks