cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Laptop not connecting wirelessly

I have a simple but really frustrating problem. I have replaced my BT Hub 3 with Infinity hub 5. All devices seem to connect OK apart from a IBM Lenovo laptop running XP (it's pretty old but it works). In "wireless network" I choose the correct network, enter the network key. It tries to connect but doesn't. There is no error message. I can connect to an unsecured network, so the adapter is working. I have checked the key 5x, rebooted the laptop and router 2x. Has anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Laptop not connecting wirelessly

Have you set the HH5 to WPA2 and  the laptop possibly only supports WPA.

0 Ratings
bottymilk
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

I have the same issue which only occurred today!

I also have a lenovo laptop - Flex 2 15 and have been connected to the BT Home Hub 5 (BT Infinity) since the beginning of Jan with no problem.

Fro today when i try and connect it wont let me and says "Cannot connect to this network". 

This has never been an issue for me so has come as a surprise.  All other laptops, devices, mobiles connect - just not my Lenovo.

Sounds like it could be the same and im unsure if its Lenovo or BT the issue!  Im assuming Lenovo because yours is Lenovo and the infinity is working fine.

Any help appreciated

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

bottymilk, you should try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
bottymilk
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

hi, i will try that but not sure how that will fix the problem because ALL other devices, mobiles etc connect and works fine - it is just the lenovo laptop which has the problem.  Its strange that its previously been working and now stopped from today.

Im willing to try anything so will do that and let you know.  Thanks for your help

Stephen

0 Ratings
bottymilk
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Hi, I tried the factory reset of the hub and it still never worked. Any other suggestions please??
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Are you sure the wireless adaptor on the laptop is turned on?

What happens when you try to connect?

Have you tried to connect to another wireless network such as BTWifi?

Have you tried deleting the connection in the Network and Sharing > Manage wireless networks and remaking it?

Can you connect with an Ethernet cable?

Have you done any updates on the laptop recently?

0 Ratings
Deezzaa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I think you may be onto something here. HH5 is definitely WPA2, but I ony get the options WPA and WPA-PSK for network authentication on the laptop.

Does this mean I can't use the wireless adapter with HH5?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

You would need to change the wireless security on the homehub to one that your laptop can deal with or buy a wireless dongle that supports WPA2 and connect with that. Basic wireless dongles cost under £10.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Check to see if there are any updates for your wireless card from the manufacturers website otherwise you would need to change hub wireless security to wpa to get laptop to work. Wpa is not as secure

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings