cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Laptop unable to connect to the Internet

My 2 year old Dell Laptop will not connect to my BT Infinity HomeHub. Tried the BT helpdesk and they said I need to update the Drivers in the Laptop. Has anyone else had this problem. My iMac desktop connects perfectly to the Homehub so no issue with the Homehub itself.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Laptop unable to connect to the Internet

have you checked the drivers are up to date on manufacturers website and not just windows update?

it may be your wifi card is not 'n' rated and you may find changing the hub to b/g instead of b/g/n may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@sumherst wrote:

My 2 year old Dell Laptop will not connect to my BT Infinity HomeHub. Tried the BT helpdesk and they said I need to update the Drivers in the Laptop. Has anyone else had this problem. My iMac desktop connects perfectly to the Homehub so no issue with the Homehub itself.

Its a very common problem. The home hub 3 by default, uses a more secure connection method. Some older wireless cards need updating.

You can change the HH3 encrypion if you want.

See Wireless Help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Had a very similar problem when I first swiched back to be BT and got the HH3, it did indeed prove to be the drivers, my laptop was not a DELL and the drivers appeared to be up to date but wern't. This is a thread I created then CLICK THIS LINK 

As mine ain't a DELL not sure if this will help, but you hopefully it'll turn up to be something the same and you will find the correct/up to date drivers 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Have a look in PC world or maplins for an n dongle, Iv got a netgear WNA 3100. which connects my 3 year old Acer to HH3 at full speed
Geoff
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Re: Laptop unable to connect to the Internet via wireless through BT infinity

Laptop unable to connect to the Internet via wireless through BT infinity

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

have you checked you are entering the correct wireless code in to the lap top are the drivers up to date have you tried changing the wireless settings in the hub to b/g instead of b/g/n
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

As john46 has said, make sure you are using the PASSKEY found on the Homehub or the pull out card that came with it and not your email password or anyother password.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

I have a windows xp machine and despite changing every possible wireless setting on HH on 2 seperate hubs I purchased a new wireless N dongle I am still unable to connect.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@Devon_Dave wrote:
I have a windows xp machine and despite changing every possible wireless setting on HH on 2 seperate hubs I purchased a new wireless N dongle I am still unable to connect.

@Hmm, that's odd. @DD, any on screen errors etc when trying to connect?

Our XP PC used to use the BTVoyager1055 a/b/g wifi dongle connected to our (then) BTHH2.

It worked fine for general browsing and even online videos - when it was with in 4 metres of the hub

Due to it being passed on to our 'YouTube addicted' daughter, I've recently upgraded the ram for more oomph, installed additional cooling fans and we've swapped to ethernet (through PLA's) as it was just that bit too far from the hub to maintain a decent speed.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings