cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeeM
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Large data download while I'm (and my laptops) sleeping!

Go to solution

OK maybe not large but worrying.

Checked my HH stats this morning at 06.30 am. One thing that concerned me was that the connection time was just under 6hrs, so the internet connection was lost as about 00.30hrs. We had been tucked asleep up for about 1.5 hrs by them. I then looked at the tx/rx stats (below) and it looks like I downloaded 4.6GB of data! No way. All laptops were off or hibernated (all two of them).

To complete the picture I have a PS3 which was off and to my knowledge I always have to manually download software updates, have never known it to fire up on it's own to update. I have a Buffalo NAS, I do not use bittorrent and I have it in auto mode so it sleeps when not being active. I also have a Sonos music system, which again you have to manually update software.

4.6GB is a lot of data. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thank you.

Lee.

Connection time

0 days, 5:54:17

Data transmitted/received (MB)

95.58 / 4639.62

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Detailz
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Large data download while I'm (and my laptops) sleeping!

Go to solution

try secure ur wireless mate

preferbly with WPA2 since it's harder to crack

i would guess some freeloader is tapping into ur wireless!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
LeeM
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks.

I'm not in a highly obvious spot for this. I can only see one other network as the houses are far apart and I am a good distance away from the road. My password is strong but will review security. My concern was more about maybe being hacked via the fixed line route. Also do BT do any tests where they push and pull data to/from the HH?

Lee.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

You could check your home hub network devices for any unidentified connections. On the old home hub you can look at network devices screen. On the new one I think you have to look at the DHCP table.

If you are opted into FON, then it could simply be someone using your hotspot. This usage would show on the hub, but not count against your monthly allowance.

Fixed line hacking is highly unlikely, especially with your hub connected all the time. Although you did see a disconnection, so you could look in the event log to see how long it was.

Does you phone line route through any other properties?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@LeeM wrote:

OK maybe not large but worrying.

Checked my HH stats this morning at 06.30 am. One thing that concerned me was that the connection time was just under 6hrs, so the internet connection was lost as about 00.30hrs. We had been tucked asleep up for about 1.5 hrs by them. I then looked at the tx/rx stats (below) and it looks like I downloaded 4.6GB of data! No way. All laptops were off or hibernated (all two of them).

To complete the picture I have a PS3 which was off and to my knowledge I always have to manually download software updates, have never known it to fire up on it's own to update. I have a Buffalo NAS, I do not use bittorrent and I have it in auto mode so it sleeps when not being active. I also have a Sonos music system, which again you have to manually update software.

4.6GB is a lot of data. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thank you.

Lee.

Connection time

0 days, 5:54:17

Data transmitted/received (MB)

95.58 / 4639.62

Hi.

Can you have a look at your online usage figures ? (see my shortcuts options 14d & 14e for ways to access it). The hub stats do not always give the "obvious" details. The connection time reset may not always reset the data transmitted info.

Make a note of your online usage figures, because tomorrow after 7am it will show the usage up until midnight tonight for the whole month to date, in this case the whole month. That way you can see actually how much the online figure compares with the hub figure.

For info, 4.6GB in 6 hours is a constant download rate of about 225KB/s.

LeeM
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thank you.

I will check tomorrow after 07.00 as you suggest. I think the answer is per your suggestion, the readout showing data downloaded does not necessarily synch with the uptime. I think this could be it.

Lee.

0 Ratings
LeeM
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

The line does not route through other properties.

I will go through the DHCP table and check for unknown devices. When I had my own route I always forced MAC address authentication, can't seem to do that on the HH, unless someone can tell me how.

Lastly, no I have not opted into Fon.

Lee.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@LeeM wrote:

Lastly, no I have not opted into Fon.

New customers are automatically opted in to Fon. That's been the case for some time now, so although you haven't made a conscious effort to opt in, you could still be part of the Fon community.

Just a thought.

0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

It's possible for BT to log into your Hub without your knowledge using the TR-069 remote mangement protocol.  That's what is used for downloading new firmware. 4.6Gb sounds a bit much for a software drop, though - unless it was doing it repeatedly for some reason. More info at :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

You can't stop TR-069 access by any means other than substituting your own router. (That's one of the reasons I no longer use the Home Hub).

0 Ratings
LeeM
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks Ian, I have checked on the hub and it states I have not enabled Fon.

Lee.
0 Ratings