cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spec_d
Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Large data download while I'm (and my laptops) sleeping!

Go to solution

I raised a similar thread and found it was indeed hub resets where the connection time is zeroed but the data totaliser carries on.

So what is this "soft" reset rather than a full blown reset the result of?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@Somerled wrote:

It's possible for BT to log into your Hub without your knowledge using the TR-069 remote mangement protocol.  That's what is used for downloading new firmware. 4.6Gb sounds a bit much for a software drop, though - unless it was doing it repeatedly for some reason. More info at :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

You can't stop TR-069 access by any means other than substituting your own router. (That's one of the reasons I no longer use the Home Hub).

Frankly I don't expect any router update done by BT using this method would count in *any* usage allowance, since a firmware update say done on the last day of the month late at night, could put the allowance of a user over any limit - incurring the end user costs.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

@Somerled wrote:

You can't stop TR-069 access by any means other than substituting your own router.

That statement really needs qualifying. I don't know about the V2 (or later) Homehub, but you can certainly stop CWMP working on the V1/1.5s

(That's one of the reasons I no longer use the Home Hub).

I still use one, although disabling CWMP, auto updates etc was one of the first configuration changes I made.

0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

I still use one, although disabling CWMP, auto updates etc was one of the first configuration changes I made.

There's no way of doing this on the later software drops - no telnet access.

Telnet was removed precisely to prevent this sort of change AFAIK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Although I've never tried, the home hub 2.0 type A has been hackable for a while now using JTAG

More recently, this can now be acheived with 2 USB drives, so no more soldering required.

Either method allows it to be used with any ISP

I assume that firmware updates would be removed after unlocking it

Forum rules prevent listing the siteSmiley Sad, but google might help?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
LeeM
Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks spec_d,

You and Andy hit on this point that the download counter is not necessarily reset when the connection time is reset on the HH. I'll keep an eye on it but pretty happy that this is the reason.

Thanks to all who responded.

Lee.

0 Ratings