cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 11 of 44

Re: Latency (Ping Issues) During on-peak hours almost all days. no gaming for me :/

For anyone that is interested, This is what is documented on the ThinkBroadband Site to help get an overview of what the graphs mean.... I wil be editing an earlier post, as I think this is a very key point that should be understood by both the mods and any other users that are encountering similar issues.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/bqm.html

congestion.png

This graph covers a different time period to the other graphs, but shows what effect a heavily congested link from an exchange to the wider internet can have. In this case the minimum latency climbs from a high but OK 40ms, to over 140ms at the busiest point in the evening. The consistency of the latency, i.e. wide green area with a narrow blue area helps to suggest this is not congestion from a single users line, but the effect of a much larger link becoming saturated. Anyone who is a gamer would not be able to play first person shooters with latency like this at peak times.

Doesnt that look familiar to my initial charts? Funny that isnt it?

thebiznes
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 44

Re: Latency (Ping Issues) During on-peak hours almost all days. no gaming for me :/

Well pointed out so others will realise what we are talking about. Speed isn't everything as a gamer latency comes first. Something I hope BT does understand, and i really hope they have a solution to this.

Their call centre though certainly do not understand even what latency is, and want to do the usual checks lol I really don't know why I even try to report a problem to a call centre anyway. They are like robots reading scripts.

0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 13 of 44

I have had plenty of experience working with and in call centres supporting IT. I appreciate that scripts  need to be read, initial checks need to be done and that every agent has certain areas of expertise. It would be unreasonable to expect to call up and every agent can assist with your issue directly.

I have ITIL v2 and v3 Accreditations (A support framework for support desks and the like) and would like to think that my patience and understanding of how a ServiceDesk operates is of a high standard.

Speaking to 1st line, is just that. As much as people hate it, its there for a reason and checks need to be done. I accept that, and have no issues at all.

Tier2 however  (2nd line if you will) should have a much firmer understanding of more complex issues, and this is where the support is somewhat lacking. Worse still however is how 3rd line teams (Engineer Call-outs, additional remote support etc) do not work with one-another for better fault analysis.

This is not a diss at all, even though my issues have yet to be resolved, the BT ServiceDesk do a fair job of providing support. I have experienced worse.

Therefore I only really have 2 issues.

1.)    Gaming is become much, much more socially acceptable.  Latency problems are no longer an issue for the select few, there are potentially loads of customers here that are unhappy with their latency but to not have a deep enough understanding of networking to understand that their issues are infact with latency rather than speed. (which is also how the 1st line desk call it coincidentally)

2.)    Why provide an unlimited unthrottled service if the infrastructure cant take it? I would rather see throttling on-peak to ensure gamers and standard internet users can have the best QOS they can when the infrastructure is under load. Leave the PNP for off-peak use!

That said, I may be jumping the gun here, I will be interested to see what the moderators view are in regards to these threads. 

0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 14 of 44

Heres a chart last taken from 15:10 on 23/03/2013. Further evidence that Off-peak, the connection is fine.

ZeeGyInfinity_20130323_1510.png

0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 15 of 44

Glasnot check done, again. suprised by the results. 

Results for your host (host109-157-211-195.range109-157.btcentralplus.com - 109.157.211.195):

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 12848 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 991 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 6881. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 12848 Kbps while uploads on port 53645 achieved up to 987 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 30998 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 246 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 30998 Kbps while downloads on port 53645 achieved up to 247 Kbps.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 16 of 44

Why are you surprised by the results?

P2P is restricted all weekend, unless you re-contracted after the 1st of Feb.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 17 of 44

Ryan,

I was contracted just before this date i believe. Could (and this is a real stab in the Dark here) be classing my gaming incorrectly as P2P, which as a result Is causing issues on-peak?

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 18 of 44

You will be capped at peak times & weekends, though gaming is not throttled at any point.

I'm a gamer myself, never had problems with pings apart from when having troubles with my service.

To answer your question, no that is not the problem. You can see even on ping requests you get the ping, it's a congestion/routing problem. I will happily say congestion issue...

0 Ratings
ZeeGy
Contributor
Message 19 of 44

ok, thats cool... I would have to agree that makes sense.

So now, to throw a curveball out there. my pings online in gaming tonight have been Fairly Acceptable! instead of 200ms+ they have been around 50-60ms, theres still room for improvement but thats a vast improvement to last night.

However, my Latency chart says a different story. If the latency (as charted) is still this high, they HAVE to be prioritising gaming packets as well P2P packets.

ZeeGyInfinity_20130323_2210.png

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 20 of 44

It could be just the route it takes to the server, run WinMTR and put the destination to an affected server. Then open another one and run that to the server you are connecting to, then compare the two routes.

0 Ratings