cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 171 of 295

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

Go to solution

Thanks for the screenies lolowalsh will have a look at them.

Interesting development today though, in regards to nolise on the line intermittently....

One of my neighbours had openreach out today due to insane noise on her phone line, and due to the Openreach pole being in my property they came and asked if it was okay to go up the pole to try and fix her issue.

I told them about my issue and about the intermittent noise I was having on the line and they said they'd have a look at it to see if there was anything wrong with the drop cable going into the block.

Well... they found something and nicly fixed what I think was a "marked" drop wire. Heard them talking about someone possibly "marking" the drop wire when it was put in, and it was the same on both my line and the lady who was having the insane noise.

I think they removed the marked sections on both lines and reconnected them to the block. I'm gonna keep an eye out once again for any noise in bath weather, but I think this could have solved that issue and ruled it out as a cause of the Latancy problems.

Also one of the OR Engineers said he was going to put in for the whole block to be changed.

Anyway just a little interesting update I think, ping issues still remain.

0 Ratings
Message 172 of 295

Go to solution

First image is with nothing streaming

plot170819nostream.PNGSame again for me tonight this time with iPlayer

plot170819.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 173 of 295

Go to solution

Yeah, I mean look at the difference between the BT nodes (2-7) when not streaming and watching iPlayer.

0 Ratings
Message 174 of 295

Go to solution

Something kinda interesting maybe? For the first time since I've started documenting this issuse I see slight (probably really neglegable) packetloss on hop 5 and 7 which are both BT nodes.

I tested this while watching a VOD on Twitch. This seems like burst downloading however when checking NetLimiter I only ever saw increases in bandwidth usage of up to 900KB/s when watching the VOD.

Twitch_VoD_200819.jpg

I wish I could see the 172.16.16.19 (HOP 2) pings, got a feeling the spikes are starting there.

0 Ratings
Message 175 of 295

Go to solution

The mod team are also looking into my case. So if I hear anything I will update both threads.

Looks like your noise issue was separate.

0 Ratings
Message 176 of 295

Go to solution

Yeah, we had high wind and terrible rain the other night. Absolutly no noise on the line now after the Openreach Engineers went up the pole and re-connected my drop cable after removing the "marked" section.

0 Ratings
Message 177 of 295

Go to solution

For what it's worth I am posting my non-streaming and streaming speed test and ping plotter results.  These are actually the wrong way around.  The streaming tests were first, then the no streaming. 

NON-STREAMING

Speedtest - no streaming.png

Ping Plotter - no streaming.png

STREAMING 4K NETFLIX

Speedtest - streaming.png

Ping Plotter - streaming.png

0 Ratings
Message 178 of 295

Go to solution

Did you edit them the correct way? Bcause they seem the correct way around now? First Non Streaming then Streaming.

Yeah I mean, much the same as we've been seeing. Always nice to have more data.

0 Ratings
Message 179 of 295

Go to solution

Hi @matthewuncle sorry that you are having a problem with your connection. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you further with this. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 180 of 295

Go to solution

Thought it would be a good idea to ping the first BT node that responds to ICMP and doesn't give 90% packet loss.

Results below.

Not Streaming

BTHop3-PingPlotter-nostream.jpg

As you can see, almost perfect ping when there is not streamed video playing.

Streaming Twitch 1080p 60fps @ 1MB/s

BTHop3-PingPlotter-WITHstream.jpg

0 Ratings