cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strontium90
Expert
Message 1 of 22

Latency issues

Ok...tonight I had a real problem loading web pages even though my downstream was fine...

As I was getting "Ping Tests" of around 600ms (normally about 50ms) I thought perhaps my snr margin was too low...before embarking on the whole "rebooting my router and losing my bRAS profile wild goose chase"...I decided to visit my sister who is about 200metres from me...

They run routerstats etc and said their internet was diabolical too...we done a ping test on her line and it was above 600ms too, although their snr margin was better than mine at around 6dB..

Web pages were taking forever to load and bbc iplayer was unusable..

They are with TalkTalk but are on the same physical line and exchange as me...what could be causing this...it started for both of us tonight around 6pm..

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Latency issues

Your exchange may be experiencing a temporary problem with Latency. You may be being router through different nodes than usual if they are troubleshooting something and therefore your ping is sky-rocketing (Seeming as it started around peak times, it may have something to do with it). Try opening cmd (Command Prompt) and typing in the following 'ping ping.thinkbroadband.com' and see if that states a decent ping.

Cheers

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 22

Sorry for sneaking in another post but what exchange are you on? I'll have a look around for problems.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
strontium90
Expert
Message 4 of 22

Thanks Chris..tried that

"Minimum = 111ms Maximum =201ms Average = 159ms"

When I try pingtest.net it's adifferent story though

Edit  BT31 exchange Castlewellan

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 22

I always tend to trust the Think Broadband ping method because it doesn't use a browser (which sometimes, on older computers, can cause a delay) and Java may cause it to lag a bit. I personally get a 15ms ping using the Think Broadband method and a 16-17ms ping using Pingtest.net.

I checked your exchange but there doesn't seem to be any problems at the moment. For what it's worth the VP Capacity is Green which means throughput shouldn't deteriorate. The only thing I can think of is trying to ping Think Broadband tomorrow and seeing if it is fixed.

Hope I helped 🙂

0 Ratings
strontium90
Expert
Message 6 of 22

Suddenly fixed itself at 11pm

ping

0 Ratings
gobbybobby
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

http://www.pingtest.net/result/17182350.png

I thought anything over 50 was bad... But I do a lot of onlinegaming the more the delay the worse the connection the more people shout LAG at me.

I am no expert. Correct me when I am wrong. Learning is good!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
strontium90
Expert
Message 8 of 22

The odd thing about those pingtest results is that they show me 50 miles from Milton Keynes, when I live in Northern Ireland LOL

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 22

@strontium90 wrote:

The odd thing about those pingtest results is that they show me 50 miles from Milton Keynes, when I live in Northern Ireland LOL

That's probably just the distance from Milton Keynes to an administrative contact for the IP address you were allocated at the time.

0 Ratings
gobbybobby
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Yer. BT does not state where I live exactly. So when searchign google it has my location as wrong place. If I search for somehting like Pizza delivery I get pizza delivery places in Southampton. All freinds have the local town of Stroud, Gloucester or Cheltnham set. I have Southampton becuase thats where my IP says I am. and google amazing location search seraches Southampton. It stopped doing it now and searches country as a hole. It is good,. Does it at college. Shame BT does not set an IP that can be traced to my house or at least local area.
I am no expert. Correct me when I am wrong. Learning is good!
0 Ratings