cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Latency spikes / disconnections

Hi, 

I'm having problems with my BT Home Hub 3.  I've been with BT since July 2011 and at first the service was fine but recently I've been having problems.  Most of my online time is spent playing World of Warcraft and for the most part it is fine but it seems like now and again I will get very high latency, making the game unplayable.  Sometimes it will disconnect us from the game.  It's not just Warcraft, it happens with Spotify or Sky Go too, it's just Warcraft we notice most :).

If both my wife and I are playing then both PC's will be affected by the latency for the exact same length of time. I would assume this would also be true of spotify or sky go but our PC's are right next to each other so obviously we've never ran two of these programs at the same time.

When the latency/disconnects happen the lights on the home hub all stay blue.  Both pc's are wired, I have done the quiet line check thing and that is silent, and the home hub is currently plugged directly into the test socket with a new microfilter.  I have posted below my adsl settings and the speedtester results and I'm a little concerned about the number of Events.  Also, I would say I've done a couple of these recently and the download speed has never been that low, usually about 14-16MB. I'd be happy with 6-7MB though if it was stable.  Lastly, I note the connection time is at 7hrs 30mins but I have not moved or unplugged the home hub for over 3 days.  Please advise.

ADSL Line StatusConnection InformationLine state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 07:33:31
Downstream: 18.97 Mbps
Upstream: 1.053 Mbps

ADSL SettingsVPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 5.4 dB / 7.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 17.0 dB / 9.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 327859594 / 8421
CRC Events (Down/Up): 207033 / 440
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 13694598 / 245
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 12293 / 4979

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
6842 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6842 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :19420 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1076 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 17133 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
839 Kbps

0 Kbps 1076 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 839 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1076 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Latency spikes / disconnections

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes it's connected to the test socket, yes I've tried the quiet line test with a corded phone and I hear nothing.

Speed isn't the issue, its the latency and disconnects.  I think it might have something to do with the errors/events.  Here's what the home hub is saying now re the events:-

FEC Events (Down/Up): 527177596 / 8421
CRC Events (Down/Up): 336002 / 440

HEC Events (Down/Up): 21226664 / 245
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21921 / 4979 

And it's only been a few hours since I posted the numbers above.   Is that a lot?  Hope someone can help. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

if you are connected to the test socket with new filter and nothing electrical round about then you have a huge number of errors for time connected.

I would contact the mods for assistance  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

can take up to 3 days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

hi those tests are not only related to speed but to disconnections as well as to errors the fecs are showing interleaving working but the other errors are certainly showing noise problems  

As imjolly has posted  you need mods assistance with those errors to get them resolved

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Ok this is just weird.  I was moving the living room round and in doing so unplugged my Wii because we hardly play it and I hadn't decided what to do with it.  Since then I haven't had any problems with latency or disconnects, the number of FEC errors is not increasing anywhere near as much, the time connected hasn't reset and the other errors/events have barely moved.

So I'll give it a couple of days with the Wii unplugged and see how it goes.  It did used to be set up to connect to WiFi and the 24hr connect thingy but as I said I haven't even turned it on for ages and have had a replacement home hub since last time I turned it on so maybe it was repeatedly trying to connect or something, dunno.

Will see what the next few days brings 🙂 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Well, the wii was just coincidence, as I'm still having these problems.  Have contacted the mods and awaiting reply from them.  Will keep this updated.

0 Ratings