Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikefbull
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Latest VDSL Home Hub Equivalents

Hello all,

I know this has come up a lot but, having had numerous issues with Home Hub 5, I'm looking to find a decent 3rd Party equivalent.

The last posts I've seen are quite old, so wondered if anyone can recommend any of the more recent VDSL modem/routers please?

I've tried the NETGEAR D7000 Nighthawk AC1900, and it had a faulty Eth4 (had the same problem even with a replacement unit) and the WIFI range wasn't great.

I'm thinking of going with the TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC 1900.  Any thoughts on performance etc. or are there any other recommendations?

Looking for something that can stream video (wired and wireless), as well as supporting voice over IP.

Thanks

Mike

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Latest VDSL Home Hub Equivalents

did you use search and read this  https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-AC-1900-Wireless-Dual-Band-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mikefbull
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I did search but must not have chosen the right search strings as I didn't see this particular post.  Thanks for posting.

Would be useful if there are other tried and tested suggestions however?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

It really comes down to your requirements. The main considerations are GbE ports, wireless AC, ability to monitor stats and price. The 4 main players are Netgear, TP Link, Asus and Billion. Asus had a poor reputation for the modem portion of their combined boxes but I believe firmware update may have resolved that.

0 Ratings
mikefbull
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks... main requirements are that i'm looking for something that has a decent WIFI range, and is able to cope with streaming video, audio (voice over IP).

I have BT Infinity, but with Home Hub 5 video streaming constantly buffers even when the device is less than a metre away.  When I try to make VoIP calls, constant delay, clipping and client keeps logging itself out.

Like i said I tried the Netgear Nighthawk and that did the trick but seems to have a faulty batch with dodgy ETH4.

I may well just try the TP Link VR900 AC1900, but this is my third attempt at replacing so wanted to get a warm feeling or a recommendation before i did so.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

The VR900 does seem to be well regarded by most, although for completeness you may wish to have a look at this thread. I'm not sure what the explanation for that was, but does seem to be the only negative I've seen. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If you don't want whistles and bells, the cheaper option is the TP Link TD-W9980 or TD-W9970. I'm quite happy with my 9980.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

I have been using the Archer VR900 for a couple of months now to replace the HH5. It worked first time out of the box after selecting the BT VDSL setting and entering the usual login details, took about 5 minutes from opening the box to getting online. It has improved my download speed on Infinity 1 from 28 to 38 and gives a much stronger wifi signal throughout the house. It has been rock solid with no loss of Internet or wifi. The bonus was I got it as an Amazon warehouse deal for £99.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 9 of 13

I've been using an Asus DSL-Ac68U for a while now & I find it excellent in every respect.

0 Ratings
rbz5416
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

In my experience of expensive ADSL routers, none of them live up to the hype. I tried top-of-the-range models from Netgear, Asus, TP-Link & Billion & all had issues of one kind or another that made them little better than the ISP provided freebies. This is compounded by "support" of the same kind we're familar with from BT - ie none worthy of the name. Same old script-monkey routines with "We've never heard of that before" despite the Internet being littered with threads about the same problem.

Maybe it's a quality control issue & it's pot luck as to whether you get a good one or not, & I've just been VERY unlucky. But take a look at product reviews on Amazon & they pretty much all have significant proportions of 1 & 2 stars. Even allowing for a certain degree of idiot factor, it's way too high.

So given the option of free **bleep** vs expensive **bleep**, I've decided to stick with free for now.

Although to be fair to Amazon, they've never had a problem with me returning a router that didn't perform as expected. So there's little risk (apart from to your mental wellbeing) in trying one...