Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Layman's explanation for my broadband issue

Go to solution

Hi

I'm trying desperately to resolve an issue that has been rolling for a month with BT regarding my broadband speed.

In October, I was running at about 18Mb (nothing super quick, but I live in the country and it's acceptable). At the end of October, I reviewed my account with BT and signed up for another term with the same conditions applied to my telephone and broadband

A short while after, my speed dropped off and ever since I have been between 7-8Mb maximum.

I was then subjected to hours of call queue waiting and speaking to various individuals based offshore.

Initially, I was told the fault was my router. Replacement sent and fitted. Six days later and still 8Mb.

Engineer sent to review exchange. Arrived at my house instead and checked my home. All OK. He said that he had no remit to check the exchange. 10 days later and still 8Mb.

Another call with BT India who then said it must be the exchange and sent out another engineer to check the exchange.

This is where I need a layman's explanation. The Openreach engineer says that everything looks fine, but says I'm on a 8Mb circuit that he cannot affect and that the change to the faster must be instigated by BT.

Called BT India and e tells me there is no such thing as two circuits and that the engineer is talking nonsense. He stated that Openrach were always doing this and their behaviour was terrible.

He then checked my line and said that the filter was at fault and would send me a new one. This is the same filter that has been checked by an openreach engineer.

I have no idea who is telling the truth. Is there two circuits? (Reading the posts on this forum, there appears to be two types of ADSL). Could I be on ADSL Max and need ADSL 2? How is this done?

I just need some good advice in language I can understand!!!! Help please

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Layman's explanation for my broadband issue

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if u The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you John46

I've added the screen shotsBT.JPGBT2.JPG

Quiet line is very quiet.

I'm running a hub 4 and not sure how I access the log you mention.

The only change to my system since the start of the issue has been the new hub which made no difference. I've still got the original filter.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi John

Sorry for the lack of technical expertise.

These guys have been running rings around me and Im feeling so frustrated.

Thanks for your guidance

BT3.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Ther are two types of equipment in the exchange , one provides upto 8mb and one provides upto 21 mb , your line will be allocated a port by your service provider and an openreach engineer can not just swap you onto the faster speed type if you are on the slower one
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here they will be able to get you moved to ADSL2+
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @cheshireclaret Welcome to the forum and we will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

John

Tremendous job!

just had a call and I explained the information that you had me add to the thread.

They have agreed that they have renewed my contract using the ADSL 8Mb circuit and they will now move me over.

Many thanks