Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eambo
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

League of Legends DNS Issues

Go to solution

Hi BT et. all.

There are currently issues with BT's DNS servers and League of Legends. Using Google's DNS settings works around the issue, but this isn't a fix - and it stops people who have Parental Filtering enabled too, since you can't use different DNS'.

Are you aware of this issue? Is it being investigated?

Riot NOC have been trying to get in touch regarding it, so if you have a method of getting in touch with BT's NOC, I can pass that on. (just PM me)

Thanks!

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Sinuous
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: League of Legends DNS Issues

Go to solution

I too cannot connect to league of legends ( I also can't change to google's DNS because BT Parental Controls doesn't allow me to! UGH! And I even have it disabled and uninstalled WTF )

0 Ratings
Eambo
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution
There's a tool called cyber ghost vpn that some people have used to get online, this might work for you.

But yeah, BT wont talk to me as I'm not a BT user - just trying to get them in touch with Riot NOC
0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Eambo,

Thanks for posting on our forum and welcome.

We are not aware of any issue which would explain why BT customers are having issues with League of Legends, other than what has been posted here.  This issue does not seem to be related to BT as from reading the League of Legends forum thread the problem seems to be affecting multiple ISP's across Europe.  I would imagine that if this were a BT issue then we would be seeing a lot more reports from affected users.

Having written that I will try and help.  @Sinuous I am sorry that you are being impacted by this issue.  Can you please do me a favour and run a Traceroute to the game server in which you cannot connect to and please post the results here.  This will give us an idea of where the problem lies.  If you are not familiar with Traceroute you can find the instructions on how to run this, from this 3rd party website, TraceRoute - Kitz.co.uk

I will need some evidence to kick this off to our Network guys as at the moment there is nothing pointing towards a BT issue.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Eambo
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Hey SeanD,

I really appreciate your response. You are correct in that it's more than just BT - Virgin Media actually had the issue around 3 days before BT got it. However I do still believe it's down to a DNS replication issue, possibly with the domain http://lq.euw1.lol.riotgames.com.

Switching to Google's DNS works for a majority of people, although due to your Parental Filtering, not everyone can avail of this.

If you can provide further insight, escalate this to your NOC, or even get in touch with Riot's NOC (which I can accomodate) - it'd be much obliged 🙂

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Eambo,

Thanks for the reply.

I get what you are saying and my sympathy goes out to all who are having issues, not just BT customers, so I will see what I can do.  The problem is I need evidence to have our network teams investigate and at the moment I don't have this.

Let me see what I can do.  In the mean time can I ask any BT customer finding this thread, who is experiencing the same issue with League of Legends, to please run a trace as described in my last post.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
rufus7557
Beginner
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution
Another day of being part of bt... why am I even part of this isp
0 Ratings
TheOnlyNemesis
Beginner
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

Hello SeanD,

I have just come home from work and was unable to login to League Of Legends or get to support.riotgames.com

I have now changed my DNS to Googles DNS on my PC while my girlfriends PC is using BT's DNS, here is my Tracert.

Untitled.jpg

And here is her Tracert from BT DNS,

riot ping.png

As you can see, Google DNS can resolve where BT DNS can't, so while is an issue with other ISP's, BT is also the issue.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Hi rufus7557,

If you are having the same issues, and your are a BT Retail (Consumer) broadband customer please can you do the below:

1) The DNS servers you are using. If you are using the BT DNS servers then these can be found within the HomeHubs web GUI by going to http://bthomehub.home/ or http://192.168.1.254

2) a DNS lookup of the server.

For Windows you need to open the Command Prompt (CMD) Terminal and type nslookup servername.domain*

For Linix or MacOS users you need to open the Terminal and type nslookup servername.domain*

3) a traceroute to the server you are having issues to.

For Windows you need to open the Command Prompt (CMD) Terminal and type tracert servername.domain*

For Linix or MacOS users you need to open the Terminal and type traceroute servername.domain*

*Where servername.domain is server you are trying to reach.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Hi TheOnlyNemesis,

Can you please provide the dns name servers your router/Homehub is using?

If you are using the BT DNS servers then these can be found within the HomeHubs web GUI by going to http://bthomehub.home/ or http://192.168.1.254 or within your routers web GUI.

For example: 213.120.234.46 & 213.120.234.22

0 Ratings