Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavin2610
Beginner
Message 21 of 29

Re: League of Legends DNS Issues

Go to solution

i also have this problem, but for some reason Parental Controls turned itself on even tho it wasnt orgianlly on.

-----------------------------

Someone thinks they have found a fix on the league forums link below:

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2056184&page=17

0 Ratings
scottrc
Contributor
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

We really shouldnt be changing our DNS to Google's, yes it does fix the problem but please everyone check their privacy policy first and make sure you understand just what they log and why they log the information.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy

Just some of the things kept in their "permanent logs":

• Request domain name, e.g. www.google.com
  • User's geolocation information: i.e. geocode, region ID, city ID, and metro code
  • Client's AS (autonomous system or ISP), e.g. AS15169

To be fair your IP address is only kept in a temporary log for 48 hours..however that's a rolling 48 hours...

Their DNS privacy policy is also linked to their main privacy policy here http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Google is a business and they make money from data. I just wanted people to be aware of what information is given when changing the DNS settings of your computer. 

Most people are fine with it but it's better to know.

0 Ratings
hamzahalbar
Beginner
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

Hello.    

As all of you i seem to be having the same problem i also can not login to league of legends since 11/01/2015. I have not been able to login.The error says that it did not receive a response from the server.If the problem is indeed coming from bt would you please fix it as soon as possible.My brother and cousin also seem to be going through that same problem.Virgin media aslo are having priblems with the league of legends server.If you want to stay competitve to them,maybe you should fix that problem first.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your continued patience.  

Our network teams are investigating but cannot find any problem with BT DNS.  The servers in question seem to be resolving correctly.  There have been a couple of reports from BT customers on the League of legends forum that as of this morning the issue seems to have been resolved.

Can I ask any BT customer here that was experiencing this issue, are you now able to access the servers using BT DNS?

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Sinuous
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution

Yes! I appear to have been able to log in instantly using BT's DNS servers.
I have accounts on the North America and Europe West servers and both allow me to log in just fine using the BT DNS.

0 Ratings
Eambo
Beginner
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

Plenty of reports of people getting on now on the League of Legends forums, so hopefully this issue is now resolved.

Thanks for your time on this, SeanD - and anyone else who was involved.

BarkWahlberg
Beginner
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

Yes, thank you to SeanD, Eambo, and our players who helped with diagnostics. Heart

TheOnlyNemesis
Beginner
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

Can confirm now working again.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the confirmation folks.

As for a brief explanation of the problem.  When Riot games updated their IP's it would require DNS servers to update.  All DNS servers are not updated at the same time and can take anywhere between a few hours to a few days to converge.  This would explain why access to the servers were successful when using Google DNS and not BT DNS.  

It was a matter of BT DNS catching up.  This is expected behaviour and our Network teams did not have to take any action, it appears that BT DNS caught up at some point this morning and this has resolved the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, a special shout out to @Eambo for highlighting this issue and to @BarkWahlberg from Riot Games for reaching out and offering support.

As we believe this issue has been fully resolved I will now lock this thread.  Anyone having similar problems please create your own thread to allow the community a chance to help.

Cheers

Sean