cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malcolm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Leave number when moving?

I have recently moved from a Tiscali Broadband/Telephone package back to separate packages with BT.

All went well. Thank you.

However, one of the reasons for moving back to separate packages with BT was being told by Tiscali that when I moved from my present address I could not leave the number behind for the next occupier of my house. (This is VERY important as I am a vicar and the number must always stay at the vicarage!).

Tiscali said that the only way round this was to return to BT who were the only ones able to "claw back" the number from Tiscali.

Is this the situation because I have many colleagues who have switched to Tiscali/TalkTalk etc. and may be unaware that the telephone number will disappear if and when they move?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Leave number when moving?

As long as there's still a dial tone at the property the number should stay the same. On busy exchanges after a certain length of time the line could be stopped completely and the number recycled for use at another property. Immaterial who the provider was so it's not the case you can guarantee the number will always be allocated to the same property.

The only thing you can do with phone numbers is to keep the same one if you move to anther property in the same exchange area.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
Malcolm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps Tiscali were scare-mongering when they told me that they "owned" the number as I paid my line rental through them?

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

I think in the very small print you will find that providers will claim they own the number, certainly the customer/property doesn't. Probably true when the number is active either on their own network ie. full LLU or when they rent the service from BT Wholesale.

If the number isn't gaining revenue providers will return the number to the general pool so they don't pay for something they aren't using.

Lot of it is to do with equivalence ie. any provider not just BT retail should be able to activate a line for the same cost/effort so the line is put back into a neutral state once disconnected or stopped.

What I'm trying to say in a somewhat long-winded manner is that once a line to a property changes ownership the new occupier is not tied to the current service provider but can choose whoever they want. If that then means a new number then so be it.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings