Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captainhaddock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Leaving BT email

Go to solution

Hi - I'm leaving BT and moving to SSE for both infinity 1 unlimited and the phone line - I quote the email received below, It appears that I am being penalised for leaving,is that correct?

Another service provider has told us you want to move your phone line over to them on 19-Aug-2015. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop these services with us on that date.

If that's not right, or you've changed your mind, please get in touch with us on 0800 085 1756 as soon as you can. The sooner you call us the easier it is to change things. If we don't hear from you by 2pm on 17-Aug-2015, your services will automatically be moved on 19-Aug-2015.

About the services you're keeping with BT

We won't send you a final bill when you move your phone line because you're keeping these services with us:

• BT Broadband

We'll bill you as normal until you ask us to cancel them

If you'd like to cancel these services or find out more about them, please call us on 0800 085 1756.

Charges for ending your contract early

You won't have to pay any charges for ending your contract.

We'll move you onto a new broadband option

Because you're breaking up your bundle by moving your phone line, we'll move you onto a new broadband option called BT Infinity Option 2 for £32.12 a month. If you were still in a contract for your bundle, your new broadband option will also come with a contract.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Leaving BT email

Go to solution

I don't see how you are being penalised.

It appears BT have only been notified to change your phone line and that you are keeping your broadband with BT and BT are going to charge you for that.

You will need to contact your new provider and ensure that they have notified BT that you are moving both your phone line and your broadband.

0 Ratings
captainhaddock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

my broadband cost is £24.50 now - and will increase to £32.12 for the remainder of my contract,BT know that I am leaving as I spent 30 minutes trying to contact them about a week ago, and my new provider has also confirmed this.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The email you have posted does not say your broadband is being moved, only your phone on 19th August and because of this BT are charging you for broadband only after that date.

Your fixed term contract would have been for a package, that included your phone and broadband. Because you are/have stopped one of the component parts of the package you will no longer be billed for a package but for an individual item, your broadband.

If you are moving both your phone and broadband on 19th August it would appear that there is an error and you need to contact your new provider to ensure that they have told BT you are moving both broadband and phone. You should also contact BT and ensure that they also have that information and ask why you have been sent the email.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Could the situation be caused by the way SSE do the transfers?

I seem to remember reading on their web site that unlike the claims of other providers that everything will be moved across seamlessly on one day, they state that phone will be moved in a week or two and broadband can take up to a few weeks. Maybe they send a phone line transfer order first and then a broadband one later? You do really need to ask SSE and check their web site as BT are probably just correctly reacting to the particular request they were sent.

Yes, standalone BT Broadband without BT phone line rental does cost a fair bit more. The current charges for different products are listed in the tariff guide.

0 Ratings
captainhaddock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
yes I've checked and there is a couple of weeks delay between moving both services - that explains it then!
many thanks for the replies.

David.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

So you'll just have to accept the increased BT broadband price for a few weeks until SSE sort out the broadband transfer. Only a few quid extra in total hopefully. Better than having no broadband at all for a few weeks I suppose?

Why do SSE do it that way? I don't know but maybe it's cheaper to implement than the one day move all service? Also avoids transfer delay disappointments as you have low expectations from the start! Smiley LOL

0 Ratings