cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjtclancy
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Leaving BT for EE and being billed by both for line rental.

Good afternoon,

I am currently having a considerable amount of trouble with BT regarding a provider swap.

I ordered a new package from EE back in November and was informed both broadband and phone line would be transferred by the 17th of November.

Subsequently i have been billed by BT on the 20th of December 2012 (it turned up on the 29th), for line rental for between 20th December 2012 to the 19th of March 2013.

This should not have happened as my new provider is EE.

I called BT customer services on the 2nd January 2013 and was told, they had no record of a request to transfer the phone line to EE and could not amend the bill. Subsequently refering me back to EE to resolve the issue.

Upon calling EE i was informed that they had contacted BT and were told that BT had lost the initial application and were given a new date for transferral of the 16th January 2013 from BT Openreach, they also gave me the Openreach reference number 5-5-25622170157.

I then recieved a reminder to pay the 'outstanding' BT bill dated 1st January 2013,  arriving on the 5th of January 2013.

I then got back in contact with BT again this morning. BT still insisted that they had no record of any contact from EE regarding the line transferral. Further to which they refused to accept the Openreach reference number and the EE request reference number.

I was then transferred to the disconnections department who asked if EE were installing their own line to the property!

The young gentleman on the phone sounded rather unknowledgable and very unhelpful as he also refused to believe that I had even contacted EE with regard to this matter and kept repeating himself that i should do so to resolve this issue.

He also refused to even take down the Openreach reference number or check up any further details of this case.

I then proceeded to contact EE, again, who seemed rather perplexed by the whole ordeal and said they had been in contact several times and requested the line be transferred to them. With themselves being in possesion of the Openreach ref number i am inclined to believe them.

I then got back in contact with BT, reported all this to the advisor on the phone, who again refused to believe that i had been in contact with EE and refused to take the Openreach reference number. She did however inform me that the bill needed to be paid by the 16th of January 2013!! (<---changeover date from EE?)

If i do not pay the bill by the 16th then i will recieve late payment charges.

I await your speedy response.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Leaving BT for EE and being billed by both for line rental.

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

The BT advisories are probably correct, the openreach reference would mean nothing to them. EE need to put in the request to take over your line, then it would appear on BTs system. The fact that EE have told you they've done it once and not done it correctly leads me to think they've made a mistake again. (There is no application process BT could lose, EE is telling you porkies)

To confirm EE take over your service, BT do not give it to them. BT cant stop it by losing an application!

BT bill 3 months in advance (if your on quarterly) regardless of if your intending to move. Cancellations get cancelled last minute, or fall through. Bt would not except partial payment of a bill until after you had actually left them.

But if your service is due to change on the 16th anyway it doesn't really matter, though if BT is telling you that there is no order yet to transfer your services then that's almost certainly correct.
0 Ratings
mjtclancy
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thankyou for the replies!

Its just left me stuck as neither party are offering any help at all, and surely you can see how frustrating it is? Especially when both sides say you need to speak to each other. I just need a clear path to follow.

Im sat here waiting for the 16th to occur, on the 17th i get late payment fee's for the bill.

I do not wish this to happen so :

1. Am i best paying off this new BT bill, then filing a claim to get back whats owed to me after it switches (if it does)?

2. Do i ring EE? If so what do i need to ask?

EE currently say the service is scheduled to change on the 16th. BT however still say they have no record of this.

What do i do???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Did you contact the forum moderators on the BT Care link I gave you?

0 Ratings
mjtclancy
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Yes, i sent off a message yesteday and linked back to this thread also.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@mjtclancy wrote:

Hi,

Yes, i sent off a message yesteday and linked back to this thread also.

Then leave it to them to sort out, they are experts at this sort of thing.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

The mods will be able to confirm if there's an order from EE, but they can't give the service to EE, only they can take it over. If you did pay the bill you'd be credited back automatically after your account was closed.
0 Ratings