cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Leaving on router 24/7 and electricity bill question.

What would be the estimated extra price on the electeicity bills assuming that i turn on my router 24/7?
Recently I have been told to turn on my hub all the time because turning it off and on over night and in the morning could cause speed problems and other problems in the future. My parents say that it will cost a lot but I read that it would be a low amount such as less than 20 pounds a year?
Does anyone know how much it would cost per year to leave the router runing all the time.
I read that the hub v2.0 uses 10w but I have fhe 3.0 hub which I'm not sure the watt usage on that.
I know that the price per unit varies by 1-3p depending on night and day and also the watt usage is slightly lower when the router is in idle (?) which is jard to get specific price.
Just want to know a general estimate on how much extra it will be per year.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Leaving on router 24/7 and electricity bill question.

The power wattage for a home hub 3 is 5W

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Have a look here to work out the cost:

http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/misc/how_much_electricity.htm

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

It will cost you about £10 per year if you leave it on 24/7.

In order to get the best connection you are best to leave it on 24/7 however if you really want to you could power it down over night but as you can see, the cost of leaving it on spread over the year would be negligible.

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

0 Ratings