cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Lightning strike

Go to solution
There was a storm today and a lightning strike close to our house. It caused a brief power cut and then a minute or two later there was a reasonably loud bang and the socket circuit in the house was tripped.

When I turned it back on again everything was fine except that the phone was completely fried (not getting any power) and the broadband wouldn't connect (dreaded orange flashing light).

We've tested the phone line with a different phone and all seems to be ok but the broadband still won't work.

After getting hung up on by the BT hotline number (twice) after nearly an hour in the queue I tried a few troubleshooting things from their website which recognised a fault but doesn't seem to think it's with the BT network.

I've booked an engineer visit but seeing as that is not for a week (!) I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas about what I might be able to do to fix it.

If the phone works does that mean there is no fault with the line that would affect the infinity service?? Is the hub broken? It seems to turn on and function except obviously that it is t connected to the outside world.

Thank you!
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lightning strike

Go to solution

It's hard to tell.  It could be that some component in the Home Hub is fried.

Or perhaps it's the microfilter or filtered faceplate on the master socket (as applicable).  If you have a spare microfilter, it could be worth trying the test socket of the master socket. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13567/~/testing-for-faults-with-a-line-box-or-bt-infi...

Or it could be something got zapped at the cabinet and the problem isn't in your home at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
I suggest you try a different hub if you can borrow one also try connecting the hub to the test socket using a new filter
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

We managed to get another hub and it worked! I wasn't too hopeful as the old hub appeared to turn on and work (except for the lack of connection). There must have been something fried inside it as the new hub works perfectly! 

0 Ratings