cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Like a leopard racing a turtle. Odd events.

Hello.

I had BT Infinitiy installed only four days ago. (My Hub-3, btw, is only six meters away and in a straight, unobstructed line.) Since then, odd things have been happening.) 

My little Samsung netbook, on the one hand, took off like a rocket—achieving at times  (per broadbandspeedchecker.com, via wireless, and on a Sunday night) almost twice BT's own anticipated maximum for my line, of 28.4 MBps. My high-spec desktop machine, however, is an altogether different matter. Right now, as I run the two beside each other—but downloading independently—the difference in download speed is like a turtle racing a leopard.

The desktop, btw, is now back on cable—since the wireless-N connector I purchased on BT's advice would not hold a connecton. NOTE: even with the BT Broadband Help Utility I canot change my broadcast channel—as, citing some "unknown technical difficulties" it tells me to re-run the utility—again, and again, and again. No way to spend a weekend, that's some Help utility.

While I'm on the subject, why does BT push using a wireless link—then say here on its Help site, the opposite (only confirming what I originally understood: that a cable link is better then a wireless link)?

So. How do I bring my quite high-spec—cabled—desktop up to anything resembling the speed of my tiny and wirelessly connected netbook?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Like a leopard racing a turtle. Odd events.

Wireless on the HH3 is a bit suspect at times.

If you have mixed speed wireless devices, the connection will default to the lowest speed device.

There are some hints here that may help Wireless Help

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

hi also uninstall desk top help it can cause more problems then it cures it is a recommendation of many forum users then enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser address bar and once past the password page navigate to to wireless and you can change your wireless settings from there
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

very simple answer to your wireless question is a cable connection will always be better due to no external wireless interference also totally secure